AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to sort out what kind of equipment I'll need for the switch to D*.

Here's my current set-up:

- TWC for digital cable and internet

- Incoming cable is split between cable modem and TV outlets at panel in basement.

- 8 TV outlets are home run to the panel. RG-6 cable throughout from panel to all outlets.

- Two digital set-top boxes (one is HD - for the family room with 4:3 HD monitor and 5.1 system; the other-SD is for the master bedroom).

I am building a dedicated theater in my basement and will use for DVD and HD viewing... (so I'll need DBS reception capability there eventually).

I also know I need a triple LNB dish (need for locals and also for HD).

It's not unusual for us to have 2 or 3 TVs in use at any one time, but never more than 3 (it's usually 1 or 2).

I don't want to get more sat receivers than I really need, but with no experience with DBS, I'm not sure what my options are.

Some questions:

Can I take advantage of the 8 outlet hub(?) that's in my panel today?

What kind of multi-switch do I need?

Do DBS receivers come with RF remotes or is that an add-on?

If I add an HD D* receiver later, is it easy to add myself? If so, what pre-requisite hardware do I need to be sure is in place?

Any other thoughts / suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Quote:
It's not unusual for us to have 2 or 3 TVs in use at any one time, but never more than 3 (it's usually 1 or 2).
That means you need at least 3 receivers.

Quote:
Can I take advantage of the 8 outlet hub(?) that's in my panel today?
If you put all three receivers in a central location and modulate the audio/video, then you could use the hub.

Quote:
What kind of multi-switch do I need?
It depends on the number of tuners and the type of dish you are getting. Multi-sat dishes have 4 outputs and regular dishes have two outputs. DirecTivos have two tuners and regular receivers have one.

Quote:
Do DBS receivers come with RF remotes or is that an add-on?
Some do. Others, it can be added.

Quote:
If I add an HD D* receiver later, is it easy to add myself?
I don't know your level of DIY knowledge. For most people it's easy.

Quote:
If so, what pre-requisite hardware do I need to be sure is in place?
You will need a multi-sat dish to get the HD sat channels and you should run all four cables from it to a central location in your house. After that you can add receivers, switches, etc. as needed.

-Robert

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.