Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

After spending a few weeks reading various threads and many different PJs, I'm still lost and would like your help.

I would like to get the best possible PJ in the $4K-$7K(street price, not MSRP) price range.

I have auditioned both NEC HT1000 and InFocus 7200 and found them very impressive. Although I spent more time looking at the HT1000, but at the time I wasn't aware that the 7200 has more resolution. How will the resolution factor in?

I will be sitting 12 feet away and my intention is to get a 45x80 screen. Ambient light may be a factor.

What is a suitable screen for my application? Da-lite HCCV, Stewart Grayhawk, or Firehawk?

Feel free to suggest other PJs or screens or combos. Thanks!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have the 7200 with a dalite HCCV, it getting setup this friday so i will let you know how it looks, i am also sitting about 12/13 feet away from the screen. I demoed my 7200 with a High contrast Da-lite screen and a cinema vision, both looked good, but each lacked what the ther had i think, so i decided to go with the HCCV. I have a diir to the left of my screen which during the day lets in an extreme ammount of light. I cover it up with a black shade but still some light leaks through. I will have it all up an running this comming friday and will let you know how it looks and maybe try to get some pictures to you.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Daniel,

I'm planning to buy a 7200 with a Dalite High Power screen.

High power is especially good for moderate ambient light, projectors that are not exceedingly bright (like the 7200) and also projectors that have great contrast ratios (like the 7200 and all DLP products).

Andreas

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dan,

I'm in the same boat as you. I started doing research a month or so ago to find the right PJ and screen combo for my room.

I also have ambient light issues - I'm going with the Firehawk. My debate is 16x9 or 4x3 but I found a 16x9 100D (SND100H) screen for a reasonable price.

The firehawk does the best out of any screens with light - check out this link http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/cedi...image_21.shtml

I'm curious what you decide on - I'm thinking of the NEC HT1000 or the Optoma H56.

I've read about some problems with the H56 and that is causing me to lean towards the 1000.

Good luck - I'm going to keep an eye on this thread.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
$4K-$7K, I'd take a real good look at the overseas Sharp Z10000 and if you want the best at the 4k range shoot for the HT1000.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm going with the NEC 1000.

Any math wizards in the group???

I want a SND100H Firehawk but I'm limited by room size.

A 4X3 screen at 100D would allow me to mount the NEC 9.9' according to projector central.

What would the distance be for a 16x9 screen?

Ideally I want to mount this at 10'.

Thanks...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses!

Fahmi and Andreas,

From what I gathered or read here, the 7200 may be too bright when the room is totally dark for a screen (92" diag. 16x9). Still this projector is a very interesting choice.

Don,

I spoke w/Jason here at AVS and a few other sources and they highly recommend the Firehawk as well. This is probably the screen I would get, then I wouldn't itch for an upgrade for a while. As far as 16x9 or 4:3, I'm in the same boat as you since my wife watches TV or TV series on DVDs sometimes, I would like to get a native 16x9 screen and dual masking to watch 4:3 material or Dalite has got a Tension Horizon, but way too expensive at close to $7K.

For HT1000, a 4:3 100"diag.(screen size 80"H x 60"W) projector len has to be at 123.1"(10'3.1") to 148.6"(12'4.6") from screen. For 16:9 100" diag.(87"x49") projects from 134"(11'2") to 161.8"(13'5.8") away.

You're barely making it Don and I think you're sitting too close for 100" anyway.

Tom,

Sharp is an excellent choice, but I think it has a longer throw so I don't think it will work for me. For my screen size, the HT1000 can't be beat and anyone who spends anytime here knows how you feel about the HT1000.

HT1000 projector is at the top of my list actually especially at its price point. An unbelievable value and PQ. If I were to get something better, I don't think I could use its full potential.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Here is the address for the NEC installation quide http://www.necvisualsystems.com/corp...1000IG_v20.pdf

Based on their chart a 100 diag 4x3 screen throw distance is 123 - 146 inches

For a 16x9 screen, 100 diag it would be 134 - 162

In order to get 10 feet of throw distance, your 16x9 screen would have to be 83 inch diag or less

On a 16x9 screen the throw distance equation are 1.5607 x width - 1.751

and 1.8789 x width - 1.694

If I screwed up and you mean offset, then on a 100 inch 16x9 screen the offset would be 21.20

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Daniel. I was looking for that link to post, but couldn't find it. We posted about the same time in regards to throw distance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My issue is I have a beam in my media room 10 feet back from the screen. It comes down about 8 inches from the ceiling.

So it would block my view if I mount my projector behind it, unless someone can suggest a mount that would lower it beneath the beam.

I wanted to mount directly to the beam - it is about a foot wide. But that limits screen size so it looks like I have to mount behind it for the screen I want - a 92D.

Any suggestions?

I found an alternative, the Gyrolock projector mount allows a drop of 12.5 inches from the ceiling - I think that will clear the beam.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I also have a beam about 10' from the screen ( see image ). I'm decided on a 119" diagonal 16:9 screen. This will basically rule out the HT1000 for me, because the projector will need to be mounted far enough down from the ceiling to shoot below the beam, which means it will be below the top of the screen. With the HT1000's big offset, I'd have to use too much keystone correction for my taste.

Right now I'm trying to decide between the TV3 and the sharp Z10K. Although by the time the HT room is done, SXRD will probably be available AND affordable. :D

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
My room is 8'(H) by 15'(W). I decided on the 119"D screen because a co-worker has the 106"D

:D

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Makes me wonder if I should go 100D. Bigger is better,right?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.