AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see too many refurb projects here, so I'm not sure this is the right sub-forum, pun intended. Anyway ...

I have a couple of 22 year old Velodyne F-1000B subs that needed to be refoamed. A friend of mine who has some experience with refoaming speakers offered to do this, but he's been very busy lately so I thought I would give it a try.

I purchased one sub as a floor model for approximately $450 about 21 years ago. The other I bought on ebay a couple of years ago and the foam surround was suffering from dry rot. It cracked with heavy use. I thought the servo mechanism had gone bad, but it turns out to have just been a leaky surround.

While the cabinets were apart, I added a little cross bracing as there was no bracing in these otherwise well constructed cabinets.

Then I stuffed the cabinets with the fluff from some old pillows. The original damping material was house insulation that went into the trash.

As this is my first refoam, I ended up accidentally removing too much paper from the drivers while cleaning away the old surround material. The darkened area is where I've hit the paper cone with black magic marker. I think this sub may have been sitting in the sun as it is much more faded than the other driver. I didn't do a very neat job, but everything is 100% functional.

The foam that seals the drivers into the cabinets was pretty compressed after a couple of decades. I used Ideal brand duct seal from Lowe's as speaker caulk so the drivers would have a nice tight seal.

Enjoyment! :music:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts