·
Registered
968 Posts
Space and money here too.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Space, money and what look you want.

I'm on a budget so I went with used real theater seats.

I also wanted a real theater look.

Even if I had the money, I'd probably still go with real theater seats just for the look.

I'd also go with high back chairs like these if money was no object.

If I had a media room then I'd go with recliners.

For a dedicated room I say go with real theater seats.

I think these are the ultimate real theater seats because of the high back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I understand the ' comfort and money' answer, but also the use of the room comes into play, as well as what you want the room to be. In other words is the home theater in your home used everyday? Is it the family TV room? Or is it a 'dedicated' theater room for events like having company over, chick flick night with the girls, guys night watching baseball, football, etc. Is it used for parties? Super Bowl, Oscar Night? If you use the room everyday the seats had better be COMFORTABLE to sit in for hours, even nap in. Are the kids older? Are they inviting their friends over to play video games for hours at a time? Eating and drinking? The real movie chairs are great for kids, because they are virtually indestructible, they are engineered and designed for 3 shows a day, up to 9 hours of sitting a day for 15+ years. They are manufactured to commercial grade standards.

If you want a real theater in your home you have got to go with real movie theater seating. If you like to kick back, relax, even nod off in your chair, then the leather home theater recliners are the way to go. As far as prices, there is a big range. My experience is you get what you pay for, usually. Don't overlook used real movie chairs either because there are some barely used theater seats out there that are a bargain.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Great answer Beckster, also consider the last time you sat through a 2+ hour movie in a REAL cinema, those cinema seat sure did get really uncomfortable... and how many of us have been yelled at for putting our legs up on the seatback in front of us??? I lean towards cushy recliners. The downside of comfy recliners is that they make you real sleepy LOL!

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I sit through 3 hour movies all the time in my theater sometimes more than one and the seats are not uncomfortable at all.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Agreed, you can't compare comfort in a real theater to seats like the ones above or the ones I have. I went with Irwin Ambassador seats. They're really comfy (memory foam), high backed, rockers that give a real theater look. You can also fit more of them in a room because they're not as big as recliners.

So it really comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
The ones I posted above came out of a Real theater. they had been in said theater for seven years. Guess it was a nice theater LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Home theaters give you the opportunity to watch movies the way YOU want them, rather than what's viable for a public theater.

Hence, screen viewing distance, ability to pause movie, bar drinks during the movie, real food, waaaay more comfortable seating, etc...

Pick something that you can afford that you feel is comfortable and matches the look you are aiming for. I wouldn't trade my leather reclining Berks for even the most comfortable of "theater seats" any day.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hey MikeFalz,

What did your seating cost you, if I may ask?

I really need the narrower multiple seating bank setup for my room!

Those look fantastic!!!

How's the comfort and longevity been?

Thanks much for the help!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi allrepdp,

Got your PM and replied. I'll post a response here for those monitoring the thread.

I bought mine used and got a real bargain. The go for about $750/seat new. They have worn very well. I've had them for 3 years and there is no sign of wear on the the seats. I just vacuum them from time to time to pick up any lint. The only maintenance I did was to repaint the cupholder rings gloss black. They were a little chipped up when I bought the seats. They have not chipped again in 3 years of use.

As far as comfort, they have memory foam in them and even big people comment how comfy they are. No squirming even after several hours of sitting. I covered a couple of foot stools in the same fabric so my wife and I can put our feet up.

Overall, I highly recommend Irwin seats. I'm very happy with them.

Mike

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I actually went for a sectional (space constraints) and the benefit over dedicated seats is the ability to sit close to that special someone and being able to stretch out and lie down.

Both things that are hard to do in a real theater

If my room could have 2 rows, I'd probably have one dedicated individual seat row and one with a recliner loveseat type of seating.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk /forum/post/12399062

I actually went for a sectional (space constraints) and the benefit over dedicated seats is the ability to sit close to that special someone and being able to stretch out and lie down.

Both things that are hard to do in a real theater

If my room could have 2 rows, I'd probably have one dedicated individual seat row and one with a recliner loveseat type of seating.

I'll concede the laying down part, not that I have any reason to lay down in the theater, but the snuggle part works fine in my seats since the dividing arms raise up and the seats have filler pieces between them. Have done some of that snuggling.

·
Registered
683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFalz /forum/post/11243203

Agreed, you can't compare comfort in a real theater to seats like the ones above or the ones I have. I went with Irwin Ambassador seats. They're really comfy (memory foam), high backed, rockers that give a real theater look. You can also fit more of them in a room because they're not as big as recliners.

So it really comes down to personal preference.

Looking at the price for those ... $800 for ONE rocking chair????

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
That is what is so great about this forum. We are a very diverse group. One thing I hate is sitting close to people, rubbing elbows so to speak. To me, it's like sitting on an airplane with regular theater seats. Please take no offense, that is just me. I'm a pretty big guy so if I were a bit shorter and thinner maybe real theater seats would be comfortable. I love the look of those seats above and all of you have done a terrific job. Very nice theaters.

For me, plush, leather oversized Berks are my choice. On the other hand, the wife misses her couch. She always falls asleep and has trouble getting completely comfy in the Berks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.