AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought a replaytv from real crazy mo on ebay recently. Over the past month or so they have auctioned off 2 dozen or so 4508's usually going for around $100-125.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3019479801

They State:

"All merchandise is sold strictly as is. You may receive goods that do not work or are broken. We do not accept returns under any circumstances." I wonder if it is worth the risk?

·
Registered
478 Posts
We're not supposed to link to auctions. You can edit the post and remove the link yourself, or a Mod will do it for you...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dallben
We're not supposed to link to auctions. You can edit the post and remove the link yourself, or a Mod will do it for you...
Really? I've seen links to auctions before. I was not aware of that.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Quote:
Special Note to dealers, re-sellers, or any person or company that deals in equipment or products for sale. You are not allowed to post items for sale in the main forum. This also hold true for manufactures not being able to promote their products inside the AVS Forum main forum area. AV Science is the only dealer/re-seller allowed to post items for sale inside the forum or promote manufacture items. If you need promotion services, this forum offers banner advertising or a special area for this purpose.
I was always under the impression that since there's no way to verify whether or not a user is the one selling the item, they we were not allowed to link to it.

If I'm wrong, I apologize. I don't think I am though.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
His feedback worries me a little

33078 positives. 12732 are from unique users.

703 neutrals.

823 negatives. 590 are from unique users

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have dealt with him and gotten good merchandise. But with that kind of auction (as-is, no guarantee, no return), you take your chances and not everyone reads the fine print or is satisfied. Return Buy, which is Crazy Mo's parent is very reliable.

·
Registered
117 Posts
RealCrazyMO seems to be ReturnBuy's outlet for merchandise that they think probably does have some sort of defect or parts missing...

That is a very high negative feedback rating........

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
It's not a someone, but a company that gives two poops about customer service. You should grade a seller based not on the positive feedbacks, but on the negatives. I want to know that WHEN something goes wrong, they'll help me out. ReturnBuy is crap, and this screen name looks even worse.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Given that the auction is based on customer returns of goods, that the original store was too lazy to ship back to the manufacturer. There is a chance that the customer returned the item to the store because it was defective or such.

But, cosmetically it might be perfect and have all the stuff...so they will give it 4 or 5 stars on condition...and their definition of works...is the power light came on when they plugged it in.

Now it is entirely possible that a number of the ReplayTVs were returned by customers that didn't want to get stuck with an expensive doorstop when Sonicblue filed for Chapter 11...but there there will also be the ReplayTVs that customers returned because of a real problem...like reboot of death.

So, are you willing to buy the latter and still give positive feed back to the seller, because he did clearly state that you were potentially buying junk.

:confused:

Yeah...a few years ago I bought stuff from this seller....it was 5 stars in everything except one, because it had been opened.

Well, it was broken....

The Dreamer

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I've not dealt with CrazyMo before, but I have bought alot of stuff from other liquidators. Regarding the negative feedback, many people post negative feedback to outlets like this when an item doesn't work, even though the ad clearly stated it was being sold "as is". Strictly speaking that kind of feedback is unfair, because presumably you got the item at a very good price and you take your chances. However, i do see the feedback as serving a useful purpose, it let's you know what percentage of stuff works and what doesn't. So, if we assume that all the neutrals and negs are from people who bought broken stuff and the rest are from people who bought stuff that works, that works out to 5% broken stuff and 95% working stuff.

Bottom line is this. If you want customer service and all that sort of stuff, buy from someone promising such stuff (and be prepared to pay for it). If you want some thing really cheap and are prepared to take a risk, give CrazyMo a try. Another thing to factor in is, can you do anything with a broken device. If you are pretty handy at fixing things, that's a plus.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Three weeks ago I bought a 4508 from Crazy Mo to replace my 3030 ShowStopper. It took about 9 days to receive the 4508, but I did receive exactly what was advertised. It was shipped in the origina, slightly beat-up, ReplayTV box and included everything (manuals, cables, installation guide, remote, etc). When I first started it up, it booted up into the first-time setup menus, so I thought the free trial period may have been unused. Unfortunately, the trial period had been used, so I had to do a monthly activation before I could do anything except setup. I really like the 4508 - the user interface is much faster than my ShowStopper. The only thing I don't care for is the remote.

Now for the bad news. I have had a two recorded shows freeze during playback. What happens is that the video freezes and the audio continuously loops about 1 second of audio for up to 20-30 seconds. The first time, it didn't respond to the remote at all, so I turned it off. When I started it back up and played the show again, it picked up about 1-2 minutes prior to the feezing point. It froze again at the same exacty spot. I have since run into this problem again on another show where it froze about 6-8 times in 30 minutes. I was able to press Quick Skip to get out of it each time. I am hoping that this is covered under warranty. But not being the original owner, I am not sure what they will do.

So, the moral of the story is that you may or may not be getting a unit that was returned becuase it was defective. Crazy Mo does clearly state no returns and that the merchandise has been returned. You are definitely taking a chance when you buy from them. My opinion is that some of the units they sell are perfectly working units that were returned for other reasons. I think that most (e)retailers would send defective returns to the manufacturer and that they would only try to off-load non-defective returns to outfits like Return Buy (but I could be wrong.....)

My opinion is that it is only worth it if you can get it for a really good price.

Regards,

Jeff

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I been following most of Crazy Mo ReplayTV deals. Taking a chance an Hoping to steal one at a REAL good price sub $100. But bidders on ebay just make bids as if these are just used units. And the replay units are going for just $50-$70 under what I can go to the local store an buy a new one. To high and to much chance for my blood. I do not think bidders are reading Crazy Mo's ad's hence the high neg feedback

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The Robman
So, if we assume that all the neutrals and negs are from people who bought broken stuff and the rest are from people who bought stuff that works, that works out to 5% broken stuff and 95% working stuff.

I agree with everything you have stated except the likelihood of receiving working items. I have left positive feedback for broken items I have purchased from these liquidators. I bought the item at a price that allowed repairing and having a working item at a price I liked or I bought the item for parts. My guess is about 50% of these untested as-is store returns are less than what I would consider properly working. I was recently outbid on an untested as-is item, by a large amount and noticed the purchaser had left negative feedback because the item didn't work. I sent him an email and asked why he expected a properly working item, his response was he thought that the description meant properly working in as-is condition. I suspect most of the negative feedback is from purchasers with this limited understanding of what is being sold. I think Crazy Mo is going to deliver an item that is consistent with the description. If you get a good working item, consider yourself lucky. If you get an item that can't be fixed and returned to working condition at a price that makes sense, you have paid too much.

I personally like these auctions but I am very cautious.

Chris

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I agree, it's wise to be cautious, and if people bid these things up to normal prices, it's time to drop out of the auction. It's also a good idea to read some of the neg feedback to see what the complaint it. If it's just "piece of crap, didn't work" then that's what you expect, but sometimes you'll see that the seller was selling things like empty printer ink cartridges, which is not a good sign. But, that eternal search for a bargain will keep many of us watching these auctions.

I used to buy alot of remotes from a seller called estayinc. With remotes there's not alot that can go wrong, and I can usually fix what does go wrong, so I figured I was pretty safe, but even so, if the price rose above "bargain basement", I would drop out. Occassionally, I would feel too confident and would bid on other stuff and would get burned. I bought a laptop computer and a cordless phone that both went straight in the trash. On the other hand I picked up a 21inch monitor for $95 with $10 shipping that I'm still using.

Bottom line is this, ask yourself how badly burned you will feel if the item that you buy is a total piece of crap and needs to be thrown out, because that's the chance you are taking. While getting a ReplayTV unit for $100 is a great deal, if the unit is trash can you afford to waste $100? That might be OK for a Mikeyboy or someone else who has a fair chance of fixing the unit, but can you? Maybe you'd be better off spending a little more to get a working unit from someone you trust.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.