AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an experience comparing picture quality between using the component video input and the DVI input on a Hitachi SWX/TWX series HDTV? The reason I ask is that I'm enjoying my receiver which outputs the OSD via component video, and I don't have to deal with DVI switch to accomodate more than one input. Coupled with the fact that any receiver with DVI switching is in the stratophere for price, I'm trying to assess the necessity to go DVI.

If I take a step back on this issue, I'd have to be honest and say the picture quality with my Panasonic CP72 DVD and my Hitachi via component is probably more than adequate for my needs. However some videophiles hear are saying the difference between component and DVI is like VHS to DVD.

The jump from VHS to DVD is roughly double the resolution, DVD's have about 500 lines of resolution and use MPEG lossy video compression. So if you look closely at a DVD display, you can see the pixels (unlike in a 70mm movie projection.) If the TV resolution is already higher than the DVD, then I find it hard to believe there would be THAT big a difference, a difference, yes, but going DVI you are not increasing the resolution of the source material like you are going from VHS to DVD.

I'm wondering if maybe the difference might be effected by the quality of the display device or at least the displays ability to convert various video formats. I bought the Hitachi after lots of research where everyone said was the best RP HDTV in the under $4K range, true 1080i, bla bla bla. Is there really going to be a night and day difference on my HDTV watching DVD or HDTV using DVI over component that warrants adding a DVI switch, giving up OSD on my receiver, and programming remote macros to switch the receiver and DVI switch? Or is this night and day difference some people are seeing due to the fact the DVD player is doing a better job converting the video to digital format than their TV does? And if it IS that much better how come most HD cable boxes the DVI port is not enabled yet and most high-end receivers have no DVI I/O?

I suppose I can see for myself but that would require investing in a DVD player with DVI out. I'm really interested to hear from fellow Hitachi users.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.