AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a VSX-49TX for $1800. The best price I can find on a VSX-49TXi is $2500.

I have heard that the i-link is not all that big a deal and that the analog imputs will do as good or better job.

Are there other improvements (better chasis, better menu, etc) that would make the VSX-49TXi worth $700 more? Both the above receivers have dealer warranties and are brand new.

Thanks

Woolygums

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Seems like a no-brainer to get the 49TX for 1800, send it in for an upgrade for 5 bills and you pocket yourself 2 bills. Be weary of shipping costs though.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The turn-around time plus the shipping time, the time you'd be without it, might be a consideration for some people.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I belive it only takes two weeks total to get it upgraded and sent to your door, right Evelio.

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm at 2 weeks waiting and counting... :mad:

They think it is done but awaiting "final inspection". They then commented how it will then go out UPS Ground...That will get to Pennsylvania real quick from California. Seems, after paying almost $200 shipping to get it out there 2-3 day air, and $500 for the upgrade, they might be able to do a little better than just "ground" for long distance customers.

Might actually have to fire up the DVD player upstairs and dust off my "other" receiver...sigh.

Hope it's worth it! Still waiting to hear about a DVD player upgrade from the 47ai given the duration on the market and recent price cuts.

Have people still been happy with this combo. Would you buy it "today" if you thought something else was coming (besides the 443/553 series as I don't see iLink listed, even on the 663?).

Thanks.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Adam, they didn't have a local authorized service center in your area if so you could've got them to ship it to Pioneer and that would've saved you the $200 dollars since Pioneer will reimburse an authorized service center for shipping. Also they ship back 2nd Day Air I know because I just got my 49TX upgraded.

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yes, the issue of an authorized center sending it back is a bit of a sore point. Didn't get very good support locally and the dealer I bought it from was not close enough to make it worth driving in or sending it to them.

Was yours recently shipped? From talking to the customer rep, she mentioned they "changed" to Ground recently (implied that this was due to the multiple orders waiting in the warehouse?). She was going to check into the shipping method when I mentioned the distance involved and she thought see'd if she could "upgrade" me since it still hadn't shipped.

I hope you're right and she is wrong, though!

Adam

·
Registered
761 Posts
I got mine back about a month ago and it took about a month to get upgraded due to the service center wating about a week to ship and then it somehow getting lost for a week at Pioneer but if those two things hadn't happened it would've taken 2 weeks.

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
387 Posts
I spoke again with pioneer. They are still saying it will be ground shipping. Unfortunately, they can't tell me why it hasn't shipped other than "it's done and sitting in the warehouse." I'm might worry they did lose it.... Didn't realize how much I use it (or at least want to use it) till when it isn't here.

Has anyone else recently sent their's in and gotten it back (and the timeframe?)?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think they got tired of me calling every day. The poor women that I kept getting each time called me to let me know it went out. Nice customer service from that standpoint!

Waa-Hoo, can finally look forward to reconnecting and getting back to the "show"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.