AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. limit them to digital theaters ? ( duh! why ? are there so many home theaters large enough to create competition with theaters?? please....)

2. the still very high % of chips being thrown out during production (still very high % of production failures ), which, since 3 are required for a 3DLP, rises the cost 3 times compared to a 1chip DLP.

3. the size: one chip dlp are MUCH smaller than 3DLP and since they still are, to some extent, destined at multimedia applications where size does matter ( portability etc)... or the fact that most home theater customers don't complain on the rainbows and other side effects of 1DLP, then so be it, why bother with 3DLPs?

Interestingly, size also does matter for most home theater users ( I don't: I'd prefer a big 45lbs 3DLP way behind me as in theaters ! )

4. all of the above and the less ROI of 3DLP, even at $10,000 compared to the much higher nr of sales of $5000-7000 mon DLP?

5. 3DLPs at competitive prices would kill 3LCDs which have much higher ROI and lesser % of TFT panels being thrown out in production?.........

6. as long as the multimedia-business market, which represents the bulk of digital projectors sales, feel pretty satisfified with 3LCD and 1DLP, we can forget this to change.

just thinking out loud http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

PS: if one manufacturer can do a mono DLP with natural colors, NO RAINBOWS and DITHERINGS (on any source and in any circumstances) at $5000, no problem with me. We don't need 3000lumens for home theaters.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
David600,

That company was Davis, the projector was Davis DL450. I cannot understand why no manufacturer hs emulated the Davis DL450 but include more connections, and HDTV capabilities.

clopez

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
Texas Instruments has made a commitment, in order to get their business, to the movie industry that consumers would not be provided projectors that could equal the ones made for the movie industry. There was an interview of TI in Widescreen Review in which this was said.

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
i think this is a dead issue. i spent some time with the ti guys at their booth at cedia on friday. the big win for a 3 chip for industrial applications is light output. 3 times the surface area means you can pump more light through the device. in addition the home theatre market is tough since it demands great quality and low prices. people are on this forum all the time complaining about the price projectors and saying that they sweet spot is $5000.

i say it is a dead issue since the 4 new 1 chip hd1 dlps that i saw at the show are REAL close to 3 chips now. i haven't found anyone yet who can see the rainbows with the 5x color wheels, the contrast is better than the current crop of 3 chips due to the DM3 process, color saturation was very good and they will hit the streets for $8K or so with faroudja chips inside. i really believe that the gap has narrowed to the point that unless you need several thousand lumens (and the dwin says they will hit 2000 with their 1 chip) there will be no reason to crave a 3 chip.

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Compaq MP2800 DLP, 1Ghz htpc w radeon aiw, 45 x 80" diy accoustically transparent screen, lexicon dc-1. ipaq touchscreen for control

·
Registered
72 Posts
Greg--

Forgot to mention I agree with you on the rainbows. I have, until now, seen them quite often. Didn't see them on any of the three (Seleco, Sony, Dwin) 6 color wheel projectors I saw yesterday.

By the way, the Dwin said their color wheel ran 6 colors, but at 2.5x. Seems a little slow, doesn't it? I thought it was supposed to be 5x. Did you get specs on any of the others on this point?

Drew

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
everyone is doing the same thing. 2.5x with double the segments = 5x. that is the marketing spin. i asked several of them about this.

greg

------------------

Compaq MP2800 DLP, 1Ghz htpc w radeon aiw, 45 x 80" diy accoustically transparent screen, lexicon dc-1. ipaq touchscreen for control

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greg

you make good points. And I agree too the race to tons of lumens is uneeded in HT use and possibly detrimentalfor proper blacks.

As for the new 6segments color wheels, I have not the chance to see them, will do with the new Seleco in early November ( HT fair in Belgium). If the rainbows disappear really and if "natural" colors can ben done, then indeed 3chips dlps are no more needed. I also notice the contrast ratios of mono chip beat those of 3chip dlp (most).

best

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
While this is only repeating what others have said, because I haven't seen them myself...but all reports state that there is STILL some rainbow effects on the new DLP's with 5x colour wheel.

While it is probably minimal, it still does exist..which is a shame, really.

------------------

David Mendicino

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is it 5 or 6 segments ? Seleco advises 6segments on its 250DM. ??

and could we say there is NO system able to suppress COMPLETELY (absolute absence) the rainbow effects ?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
so it is 6 segments spinning at 2.5 x yielding 5x the relative speed compared to a 3 segment wheel turning at 1x.

david - who has posted that they can still see rainbows? i have not seen this. the posts i have seen are from folks like drew that say they normally see them easily and cannot with the new pjs.

greg

------------------

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
indygreg,

go throught the posts about the sharp....still has rainbows according to two forum members. there is one comparing the sharp to the yamaha i believe where it is said...i just don't have time to search around right onw to post the link

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Isn't all this subjective to how fast one's eye can scan the screen? I have people that can see the effect immediately on an Infocus LP350 and others, no matter how hard they try, can't see any rainbow effects.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I will have to search the board again...but it was from an indepth review of the Sharp 9000, in which the person on the forum said that while the rainbows were very, very small, and generally not present, they were still visible.

jimrobbins, said after seeing the sharp:

saw it today projecting on a 100" Greyhawk and I must say this is what I want (just want it cheaper). The blacks were every bit as good as the Runco in the other room. The specs were 1100:1 contrast, 800 lumens and a 1280x720 DLP imager. They were even showing the film "Unforgiven" which is not what you would choose to show off any projector. Boy, it took Sharp a long time to join the DLP party but they sure did it right. It also features a 5X color wheel but if you are bothered by rainbows (I'm not) they're still there. It sells here for $10K.

------------------

David Mendicino

[This message has been edited by David Mendicino (edited 09-11-2001).]

·
Registered
55 Posts
I HATE TO BE REPOSTING CONTINUOUSLY BUT...

NY & WASHINGTON HAVE BEEN ATTACKED BY TERRORIST!

THIS IS NOT A JOKE!

GET TO ANY NEWS SOURCE NOW!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.