AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've kinda stalled our theater build at the carpet phase.

Originally we were looking to one of the more popular Masland check patterns like many have done. We brought all of the samples in, and they just didn't look like we wanted them to.

After a week of hotel stays on the road (seriously) and seeing much more colorful design, I'm thinking we want to go more like this:

http://blog.audiovideointeriors.com/706howto/

or like this:

http://blog.audiovideointeriors.com/1106aspire/

However, non of the local carpet stores have anything close to these two looks above. Is there a particular brand or place to purchace that specializies in these types of carpet?? I'm guessing it's more commercial?? Where do the pro's go when they are designing??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Where are you located? I had to check a couple of places locally before I found someone that had enough choices.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I found a good selection at local dealers which carried lines from two national distributors, Carpet One and Flooring America.

Carpet One affiliates are local dealers. They are supposed to all be similar and all carry the same product lines. So you can purchase from different local dealers, but they should all carry the same brands and lines.

Flooring America is similar to Carpet One.

They both had a good selection of low to high end carpets.

·
Banned
3,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie /forum/post/14310819

Where are you located? I had to check a couple of places locally before I found someone that had enough choices.

Jas,

Give them the name and model of your carpet.

It look just like the one in the first pic.

Scott

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Here ya go: Miami by Couristan

Look online and find a pattern that you really like. If someone wants to earn your business locally, they can order the carpet for you. I called an interior designer, gave her the model # and she had it within a week. In the end, i bought it somewhere else, but it is possible for people to get it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yes I went with the same brand as Hokie... but they changed the name from MIAMI to something like SAN blah blah... so just look for a dealer who carries Couristan and you will get that look.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i was on an area rug/carpet kick for a while (so many amazing stores here in nyc) and i ended returning every area rug (small room) because, while pretty, they all reflected too much light from the pj/screen. so whatever you pick, make sure it is not reflective. i've spent the last week looking for the most lifeless, non-reflective dark carpet i can find (still haven't found the right one yet).

the more i sit in this theater, the more i realize how important image is and how little "decor" matters. i even removed my sconces from the side walls because they were annoying me during movies.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi. Thanks for the ideas. I've been loooking online for weeks, and can't find patters similar to ones shows in the theaters I've linked. The Shaw's, Mohawks, etc show have more of the traditional carpets for familty rooms, etc. Guess I was wondering if there was a manufacturer that specialized more in capets like these that I could browse through thier styles online.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I think the Miami pattern is now called Marco Island.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
San Marco I believe. If I recall, Miami is the name for the actual carpeting and San Marco is what they're calling their area rugs with the same pattern.

Barhoram. Those brands you mentioned are more traditional brands, so the patterns are going to be more mainstream. As much as I love my theater carpet, it's not something I'd put anywhere else in the house. Couristan and Masland are two carpets brands I was heavily looking at. My only advice is to stay away from the "theater carpet" that is sold at the online HT stores. Most of it is super busy and severely overpriced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am looking for a local shop in Minneapolis to buy my Couristan carpet -- either "Island Marco" or "South Beach".

I got a quote online for $3.49/sqft, but there is a $139 shipping charge. Is this reasonable?

Appreciate your help.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Check Home Value Interiors in Minneapolis. They're near Ridgedale mall, just down from the Maserati dealership. That's where I bought mine from.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks Jason. That is where I will be checking tomorrow. I had spent quite a lot of time on the net and ordered some samples etc., but they all look different from how they display on the web.

Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts