AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the word realistic is really one that matches our goals and seems unrealistic to the world.

Wts, how do you justify a $4K lens for a $1800.00 projector. Is there another solution to owning a Sony VPLHW40ES and a matching lens, the throw is as close or far back from a 100"x42" screen.....

I just dont think my old dual prism is up to to task, and $4K is waaaaaayyyyyyy too much?..

What lens ??????

I'll be doing a vertical stretch and then a horizontal for a cinema scope 2.35:1..............

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Well, "a" justification is that the lens lasts "forever", like a screen, a power amp, or speakers. You may go through a projector, or AVR, every year or two as new features, functionality come out, but a lens, screen, amp, speakers, seats, last through them all.

That said, if $4k is a tough pill to swallow, look for a deal (B-Stock, used, etc) on one of the high end prism lenses like a Panamorph UH480 (or 380), Prismasonic HD5000, etc. These have coatings, CA and Astigmatism correction and for normal throw distances work very well. They're not as tunable as a cylindrical lens, and won't get you that last few % of performance, but you can probably find one for under $2k. Heck there was a really good deal on an ISCO IIIL a couple months ago that I really wanted to jump on but just couldn't make work at the time.

FWIW, what lens do you have? It may be just fine for an HW40, in fact, I'd argue it probably is unless you're looking to get a more future proof cylindrical lens.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, "a" justification is that the lens lasts "forever", like a screen, a power amp, or speakers. You may go through a projector, or AVR, every year or two as new features, functionality come out, but a lens, screen, amp, speakers, seats, last through them all.

That said, if $4k is a tough pill to swallow, look for a deal (B-Stock, used, etc) on one of the high end prism lenses like a Panamorph UH480 (or 380), Prismasonic HD5000, etc. These have coatings, CA and Astigmatism correction and for normal throw distances work very well. They're not as tunable as a cylindrical lens, and won't get you that last few % of performance, but you can probably find one for under $2k. Heck there was a really good deal on an ISCO IIIL a couple months ago that I really wanted to jump on but just couldn't make work at the time.

FWIW, what lens do you have? It may be just fine for an HW40, in fact, I'd argue it probably is unless you're looking to get a more future proof cylindrical lens.
Its a CAVX MKII

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,743 Posts
Prism is a prism. I'd say your choices that would give improvements, in order of improvemets and likelyhood of getting: are used UH480, new UH480 (UH480 assuming you are in the lens' range for being in reasonable focus, their "sweet spot")), used cylindrical, new cylindrical. Least expensive option there is a XEIT but over your stated budget.

·
Registered
789 Posts
If you're considering going up from what you have but not jumping all the way to a cylindrical, I have a Panamorph DC1 and transport for sale. Listed in the classifieds. I think the $/benefit ratio is very strong. Just want to shift my focus into audio at this time. (pardon the pun!)

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,743 Posts
kgv: FWIW, if you can't go cylindrical, and you are within the throw range for jks's DC1 for sale, it looks like a good option at a reasonable price to me. Just be sure you know the lens' throw range (sweet spot). There are different versions of it I believe.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kgv: FWIW, if you can't go cylindrical, and you are within the throw range for jks's DC1 for sale, it looks like a good option at a reasonable price to me. Just be sure you know the lens' throw range (sweet spot). There are different versions of it I believe.
Looks like i may be waiting for a used UH480, priced very cheap:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts