AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new HTPC going and was moving about 200Gb of movies from my main PC to the HTPC. The rate shows 11.1 MB/s. Is this normal? Task Manager shows near 100% network utilization, and lists them as 100mbps connections. Including overhead this seems about right, 11.1MB/s = 100mbps, correct? Another thing is the NICs are Realtek 8111C and 8111E, rated as 10/100/1000mbps. Why am I not reaching 1000mbps, and why does TM list them is 100mbps connections? And how does my router fit into this, it is a Linksys WRT54GL, looks like it is only rated to 10/100mbps. So I'm assuming this is my bottleneck? Also is this why TM sees the connection as 100mbps, and not the 1000mbps capable of the NICs?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro /forum/post/19606545

And how does my router fit into this, it is a Linksys WRT54GL, looks like it is only rated to 10/100mbps. So I'm assuming this is my bottleneck? Also is this why TM sees the connection as 100mbps, and not the 1000mbps capable of the NICs?

Data passes through the router (assuming both computers connect through the router) so yes, that's your bottleneck. Pretty simple to remedy. Just add an inexpensive gigabit switch to the router and connect both computers to the switch.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Yup, your router is only "10/100M LAN" and perhaps that's the culprit. Replace it with a Gigabit router and you will see 60MB/s or more.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/19606703

Yup, your router is only "10/100M LAN" and perhaps that's the culprit. Replace it with a Gigabit router and you will see 60MB/s or more.

Gigabit routers tend to be more expensive, not to mention the Linksys WRT54GL is one darn good router once you install 3rd party firmware (using Tomato on mine). Gigabit switches are pretty cheap so I recommend just adding one of those to the network. He wouldn't really need to replace his current router until 100Mbps internet connection becomes common.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies! So any Gb switch in particular I should look at? So is task manager seeing the slowest connection and just listing that is the connection speed? If I get a Gb switch will it now show a 1000mbps connection in the Network tab?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
depends on how many computers you have. you can get 4 port ones cheaper than 8 for instance but 8 are a pretty good sweet spot for price. I think you want to find one that supports jumbo frames preferred but that might be more expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127082

seems like a nice one and a good price

You can move a TB of data and it wont take several days.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Theres no way you wont think its money well spent. I had no idea all these years with a bunch of computers in my house that you could add something so simple. For some reason it seemed too complicated to me lol.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Even with Gigabit connectivity you most likely will see around 13-15 MB/s transfer rates. You need all Gigabit compliant hardware as well as cat5e or cat6 to get Gigabit. Heck if I could transfer at 100 or 1000 MB/s I'd be quite happy. .not realistic though. I have one PC that refuses to do 1000 most likely because of the cat6 cable I'm using. Its VERY picky about its perfect cabling and no noise

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougw133 /forum/post/19609287

1000 MB/s I'd be quite happy.

Gigabit isn't capable of 1000 MB/s. At best, it can do 125 MB/s (1000Mbps / 8 bits). You're unlikely to get the full 125 MB/s, though. Assuming you're not bottlenecked by the HDD, realistic throughput is likely around 100 MB/s.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Two quick questions about these switches: it won't mess up my IP addresses (I have some ports forwarded on the HTPC with static IP)? And I assume (maybe wrong) the WRT54GL does firewall/SPI even on traffic within the network? And if so anything connected to this switch will probably no longer be monitored by the WRT54GL firewall?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro /forum/post/19609401

Two quick questions about these switches: it won't mess up my IP addresses (I have some ports forwarded on the HTPC with static IP)? And I assume (maybe wrong) the WRT54GL does firewall/SPI even on traffic within the network? And if so anything connected to this switch will probably no longer be monitored by the WRT54GL firewall?

Nah, the computers will still get their IP from the router so it shouldn't mess up with your port forwarding rules. I don't think the WRT54GL inspects packets within the LAN. I think the firewall is targeted at WAN traffic.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd /forum/post/19609430

I don't think the WRT54GL inspects packets within the LAN. I think the firewall is targeted at WAN traffic.

Makes sense, thanks.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I love showing this pic.....

Hardwired CAT6 over gigabit, mid grade 24 port switch, realtek NIC on the client side, Intel server NIC on the server side, high performance RAID-5 array on the server as the target.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Switches are L2 (layer 2) devices, they don't care about IP addresses, so; no, it won't mess up what you have. You can really think of a switch as a "splitter", that's really what they do. Take a "input" cable into any port, and then, magically, all the other ports can talk to each other. It's pretty cool (and way more complicated than that, but, for most people, that's all you'll need to know).

Here's one that I use:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122203

It's a managed switch, so you can view thinks like throughput and bandwidth utilization. If you don't need this functionality, the switches suggested by others will be perfect for you. After the change you should see 50-100MB (notice the big B, megaBYTES) per second between 2 relatively modern computers. A gig every 10-20 seconds..

·
Registered
344 Posts
I use an un-managed gigabit switch. Here's a picture of my network. Each PC is in a different room. We can now stream a ripped BD and a ripped DVD at the same. Before adding the switch a ripped BD would stutter. The router still assigns IP addresses as before. The wiring is CAT5e and has no problem transporting GbE over distances up to ~50 ft in my house.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts