AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm a long time AVS reader but I've always kinda avoided the DIY audio forums, thinking it was way too complex to figure out what sort of speakers I should try to build.

I've recently stumbled upon some post about the DIYSoundgroup and convinced myself that a 7.1 setup from them would be a great place to start.

My dedicated room will soon be finished so I need to think about the equipment I'll put in there. I've settled for the moment on a DIYSoundgroup Fusion Alchemy LCR array with Volt-V8 as surrounds.

Room is 12x19x8 with soundproofing (DD, GG, sealant).

Since the speaker selection is done for now (the Tempest are still a possibility...), my search is now for the sub.

If it wasn't for the DIY approach, I think I'd go with a SVS PB-2000. It's in my budget price-wise. But I'd like to have two subs but 1,500$ is too much. So i'd like to go DIY to keep cost at arount 1,000$-1,200$.

I keep reading about 18'' build and I ask myself : is this too much for my room ? I've read all over the place that you can't have too much bass but will I really use all that power in a 1,900 cu. feet room ?

I plan on having the sub(s) behind an AT screen. My false wall will have around 24'' behind it.

I'm slowly getting into the idea of a couple of Martycube but I want to know if something smaller and perhaps build around a 12 or 15 inch woofer would be sufficient given the size of my room.

I do like good, thight and controlled bass. I remember being impressed with Tron : Legacy in the Imax theater.

My current HTIB setup has anemic bass so I'm wondering if the subs I see on here will completely overpower my room and the rest of the 7.1 setup I have planned.

Thank to all who chime in

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
2 Ported 18s is just right in that room. I'm currently using Sealed 18s but if I had time I'd build ported cabinets.

It's easier to turn it down if it's too much but it's not near as easy to sell it all and build more. IMO the price difference between 15s and 18s is negligable in that price category. The only caveat would be if you didn't have the space.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicAVS  /t/1524073/reality-check#post_24522698

Hey guys,

I'm a long time AVS reader but I've always kinda avoided the DIY audio forums, thinking it was way too complex to figure out what sort of speakers I should try to build.

I've recently stumbled upon some post about the DIYSoundgroup and convinced myself that a 7.1 setup from them would be a great place to start.

My dedicated room will soon be finished so I need to think about the equipment I'll put in there. I've settled for the moment on a DIYSoundgroup Fusion Alchemy LCR array with Volt-V8 as surrounds.

Room is 12x19x8 with soundproofing (DD, GG, sealant).

Since the speaker selection is done for now (the Tempest are still a possibility...), my search is now for the sub.

If it wasn't for the DIY approach, I think I'd go with a SVS PB-2000. It's in my budget price-wise. But I'd like to have two subs but 1,500$ is too much. So i'd like to go DIY to keep cost at arount 1,000$-1,200$.

I keep reading about 18'' build and I ask myself : is this too much for my room ? I've read all over the place that you can't have too much bass but will I really use all that power in a 1,900 cu. feet room ?

I plan on having the sub(s) behind an AT screen. My false wall will have around 24'' behind it.

I'm slowly getting into the idea of a couple of Martycube but I want to know if something smaller and perhaps build around a 12 or 15 inch woofer would be sufficient given the size of my room.

I do like good, thight and controlled bass. I remember being impressed with Tron : Legacy in the Imax theater.

My current HTIB setup has anemic bass so I'm wondering if the subs I see on here will completely overpower my room and the rest of the 7.1 setup I have planned.

Thank to all who chime in
Kevings forum member has room the same size and loves his martycube and full marty so much he's making a third. Two cubes would not be too much for that room. Time to go buy some lumber and get your build going

·
Registered
5,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicAVS  /t/1524073/reality-check/0_80#post_24522698

Hey guys,

Well if you're expecting anyone here to be the voice of reason; you've come to the wrong place.

I have a similar size room (2,150cf), and had the same concerns when I was looking at building 6 SI18's in a sealed setup. Well needless to say it only took about ten months later before adding 2 more.
I would have done 4 more if I could have found a place to stack them all, lol.

As others have stated; it's really tough to overbuild when it comes to bass. There is just something super addicting about clean, low distortion LFE.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1524073/reality-check#post_24523953

Well if you're expecting anyone here to be the voice of reason; you've come to the wrong place.

Ahem, cough. cough... I'll try.

You're just starting out DIY, planning on 7 speakers and 2 subs. You're coming from a crappy HTIB. You have a tight budget. And don't know what to expect.

Build two sealed 15s with an EP4000 amp and you'll be under budget, and it's an easy build. Let the DIY bug infect your brain, and then you can add 15s or 18s later down the road.

With ported subs, you gotta think about high pass filters, constructing the vent, they're bigger, and you lose out on the

·
Registered
1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1524073/reality-check#post_24523953

I have a similar size room (2,150cf), and had the same concerns when I was looking at building 6 SI18's in a sealed setup. Well needless to say it only took about ten months later before adding 2 more.
I would have done 4 more if I could have found a place to stack them all, lol.

As others have stated; it's really tough to overbuild when it comes to bass. There is just something super addicting about clean, low distortion LFE.

When you started with "Well if you're expecting anyone here to be the voice of reason", I thought you where going to say that person was going to be you.
Mister 8 subwoofers. My whole house is about 1900CF, that includes the bedrooms upstairs. I have 2 18's and love them. I want 2 more but don't have the room. Or the desire to get a divorce. As bass said you can never get too much bass, you can have too little bass thought and nothing ruins a good movie like expecting the walls to shake when something blows up and all you get is bottomed out subs. Go big and don't look back.

·
Registered
472 Posts

If you're coming from an htib setup, one martycube will blow your mind.  I like the idea of 2 sealed 15's, for budget and effort.  It would give you a nice response for most if not all your seats and sound great compared to what you're used too.  And then in 6 months when you get the itch you can build 27 more and replace your screen with a wall of woofers.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u  /t/1524073/reality-check/0_100#post_24524018

When you started with "Well if you're expecting anyone here to be the voice of reason", I thought you where going to say that person was going to be you.
Mister 8 subwoofers. My whole house is about 1900CF, that includes the bedrooms upstairs. I have 2 18's and love them. I want 2 more but don't have the room. Or the desire to get a divorce. As bass said you can never get too much bass, you can have too little bass thought and nothing ruins a good movie like expecting the walls to shake when something blows up and all you get is bottomed out subs. Go big and don't look back.

Cess, are you sure you don't mean 1900 Square Feet?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u  /t/1524073/reality-check/0_100#post_24524031

Dohh!!! I always get the square feet and cubic feet wrong. Just realized that, no I don't live in a 12x19x8 box.

LOL, that's what I thought. Although, a 12x19x8 box wouldn't be that bad as long as there was room for the "home theater" in the corner!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydankness  /t/1524073/reality-check#post_24524024

If you're coming from an htib setup, one martycube will blow your mind.

That's what I'm slowly realizing. Since my current setup is in an unfinished basement, I don't turn the volume loud as it can be heard in the whole house and would wake up the kids. But I intend that to change with the dedicated room.

I don't think I fully realize what good bass is, outside of a commercial theater.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic  /t/1524073/reality-check#post_24523992

Build two sealed 15s with an EP4000 amp and you'll be under budget, and it's an easy build. Let the DIY bug infect your brain, and then you can add 15s or 18s later down the road.

Would there be any disadvantage of adding two larger subs in a room that already have two smaller one ? Like moving two 15'' to the back and using the new 18'' in the front ? Would those 15'' still be worth it or you must have similarly sized subs all around ?

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Nothing wrong with that at all. Just keep them sealed, or tune them all to the same frequency. Personally, I like sealed. Simple, less headache, better bandwidth, etc. But I'm not an SPL junky like the guys with these Marty cubes are. But to be perfectly honest, I don't really know what a Marty cube is. I'm out of the loop on that one
Some kind of LLT I assume?

·
Registered
204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicAVS  /t/1524073/reality-check#post_24524076

Would there be any disadvantage of adding two larger subs in a room that already have two smaller one ? Like moving two 15'' to the back and using the new 18'' in the front ? Would those 15'' still be worth it or you must have similarly sized subs all around ?

I'm getting ready to cross that bridge. I currently have 2 12" subs that will be getting two 18" big brothers. My main concern is getting them to play nice together with the same source which has me looking at a new receiver with SubEq. Ideally I'd want to cross over the 18's a little lower and have the 12's cutting off a little higher. I'm definitely the furthest you get from an expert though, so I may be on the wrong track entirely.

That said, my room dimensions are nearly identical to the original post, and as I've said, 2 x 12" and 2 x 18". All will be living behind a false wall in the front that is 24" deep. I'd prefer to spread them around the room, but my layout can't support it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic  /t/1524073/reality-check#post_24524140

Nothing wrong with that at all. Just keep them sealed, or tune them all to the same frequency. Personally, I like sealed. Simple, less headache, better bandwidth, etc. But I'm not an SPL junky like the guys with these Marty cubes are. But to be perfectly honest, I don't really know what a Marty cube is. I'm out of the loop on that one
Some kind of LLT I assume?

I really need to read more on sealed vs ported. I tought ported was the way to go for HT but I understand it's more subtle than that.

Again, having a lowly HTIB for the moment, I can't say how loud I would really like it to be if the sound quality was present.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicAVS  /t/1524073/reality-check/0_80#post_24524213

I really need to read more on sealed vs ported. I tought ported was the way to go for HT but I understand it's more subtle than that.

Again, having a lowly HTIB for the moment, I can't say how loud I would really like it to be if the sound quality was present.

One thing that will surprise you is what clean bass sounds like. Many years ago I had a Sony sub that I thought was pretty good. My first real sub(s) was a pair of SVS 16-46pc+'s. When I first hooked them up and listened to them I was kind of disappointed. I was so used to the distortion the Sony produced it took me a bit to retrain myself.

Once you realize how good it sounds when properly setup; and that the more you have the cleaner it sounds; the more addicting it becomes.

I agree with all the previous posts about starting off with a pair and making them sealed. A properly built sealed or ported cab will sound exactly the same. They just have different strengths and weaknesses. Sealed is really cake to slap together with very little calculating. A pair will absolutely decimate what you currently have and will provide a nice stop gap until you really get the bug and decide to build a few more.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeonunh  /t/1524073/reality-check#post_24524180

Ideally I'd want to cross over the 18's a little lower and have the 12's cutting off a little higher.

I've tried this and wouldn't recommend it. I put a 1st order LP on a "anchor" sub, but the phase shift created problems (nulls). Took of the LP and everything straightened right out, and sounded better too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicAVS  /t/1524073/reality-check#post_24524213

Well, for the average user, ported gives you a lot more bang for the buck from (typically) 20hz and up. But if you're talking the ultimate in HT, sealed is actually where it's at for achieving reference bandwidth playback. There are many SPL junkies who do 15hz ported subs for good reason, but they are missing out on some bandwidth. And the commercial subs are often ported because a $3 plastic part gives them an extra 6db at 25hz. But that's not the ultimate. And when you consider space is a premium, then you really start to think sealed.

If you can handle big and can build it, no problem, go ported. Nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicAVS  /t/1524073/reality-check#post_24524213

What you can do is to see if anyone lives in your area and is willing to let you listen to some of the subs you are interested in. Put an ad in the classified section of this forum or ask in one of the threads if you see someone that lives by you. I know personally I wouldn't have a problem showing someone what my system sounds like.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u  /t/1524073/reality-check/0_80#post_24524304

I know personally I wouldn't have a problem showing someone what my system sounds like.

Me either. Anyone is more than welcome to come join me in BFE.

In fact, cessna, I think you're closer to me than anyone else on here. You're only a 9 hr drive.

·
Registered
204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic  /t/1524073/reality-check#post_24524286

I've tried this and wouldn't recommend it. I put a 1st order LP on a "anchor" sub, but the phase shift created problems (nulls). Took of the LP and everything straightened right out, and sounded better too.

quote]

Good to know. I was a little suspect of my plan to begin with, but figured the 12's are just going to be completely overpowered by the 18's when attempting to play in the same frequencies. I'll just play around with leaving them in and taking them out to see what sounds better. I can always repurpose them in another room and build a couple more 18's.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts