AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running RG6 in my new home and estimate it will take at least 2-3000 feet of RG6 with 2 feeds per room in over 21 rooms. I've priced Belden 9116 at $83 per 1000 and Belden 1694A at about $310 per 1000. That's a huge difference. My HDTV off-air antenna guy and DishNetwork installer say the 9116 is fine, but everything I read on this forum says use 1694. I don't want to be cheap, but also need to watch my costs. Is 1694 really worth the huge extra??

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
The primary differences in construction are that the 1694 has copper center conductor and braided copper shield with 95% coverage, while the 9116 has a steel center conductor and braided aluminum shield with 60% coverage. Both also have a foil shield with 100% coverage.

Both have similar performance as far as the signal is concerned and provide adequate protection from RF interference. Because of its construction, the 1694 has lower DC resistance, and will provide better protection against capacitive and inductive coupling and against noise from circuits that control inductive loads like motors.

IMHO you won't be able to measure a difference, much less see one, in a residential installation.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The 1694 will only make a difference if you use them as interconnects for line-level connections. If you're mainly distributing sat, then go with 9116.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Dooger54,

Just my 2-cents, but if you can afford to go the dearer stuff, I would.

You are looking at an upgrade price of around $400 - $600 over the total cost of the whole project, and for me the piece of mind that you have done it properly.

Of course, the problem is if you go for the cheaper one and the first time you sit down to watch a movie and someone open the fridge and you hear a snap-crackle-or-pop, you'll wish you spent the extra $$'s then !!!!

IMHO...........

Austen.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
That isn't going to happen. Extra shielding only helps with on frequency interference like being close to a TV broadcast tower. Throwing away money because it's a relatively small amount is still throwing away money.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I tend to agree with greywolf. I review cable sweeps every week. Mostly on 7/8" and 1 5/8" for communication towers, but its coax just the same. I think you are fine with the less expensive RG6. Remember, when cable companies were using RG59 for these applications?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf
Throwing away money because it's a relatively small amount is still throwing away money.
I need you to talk to my wife ;)

Robert

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
'Twould probably be a gesture in futility. I'm unable to get that across to my own spouse.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the replys. As far as interference from nearby radio towers, etc. that is not an issue. Our house sits on 14 acres of country property, nearest neighbor is a 1/2 mile away. I normally like to buy the best quality for the long-run, but it just seems running the expensive stuff won't really make any difference. Would it help to compromise by running the 1694 to my home theatre and family room where my HDTV set is, and the 9116 everywhere else?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
It won't make any noticeable difference. All the signals are going to be digital shortly if not already depending on your source. There is no incremental difference happening to digital signals. Either they arrive just as they left or you'll see obvious problems with a damaged cable. The only place to be careful with broadband RG6 is with runs over 200ft from a satellite dish to a receiver. That coax also carries an ordinary DC voltage from the receiver to the multiswitch and or LNB. Over 200ft is a bit much for the steel and aluminum conductors and copper is preferred.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The copper center conductor RG6 will be more flexible (noticeably so) and easier to work with.

But I agree that you won't notice any difference between the two for home use.

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.