AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

I have read quite a bit about projector calibration and now I suppose I'm asking for your opinions as opposed to directions. My family and I have been watching the out of the box image (with the exception of a little tweaking of the sharpness and contrast) from our Panny 900 for years. It really looks great to us. I just ordered an Epson 8700UB to get me into the 1080p world. I believe I have the intelligence to learn how to calibrate, but know I don't have the desire. We watch maybe two movies a week max, so I guess the question would be, is the reward worth the time and effort? Please understand, I know calibration is the right thing to do, but is it necessary for an average jamoke with limited spare time like me? I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and as always, thank you for your time.

Dave

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Worth is relative. Some say yes, and some say no. If your time is more valuable to you than what it costs to bring in a pro to do it ... then you hire a pro. If your time has less value than the cost of a pro calibration ... which means lots and lots of free time ... then you go learn to do it yourself and buy all the gear and software needed there in.

The quest for calibration is the quest for accuracy. Seeing the image the way it is supposed to look off that disc. If that is not a priority ... then sit back and just use the THX mode in the projector and have a good life. (I may only use a calculator once or twice a month, but when I use it, I still want it to give me the right answer.
)

Regards

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
I wanted to calibrate my projector when I first got it (used) and replaced the lamp. You need to wait at least 100 hours of use before you calibrate to let the lamp settle in. Then you will probably want to wait another 500 or so to make sure the lamp won't fail prematurely...

Anyway, is it worth it.. I have an older mitsu that had a very poor out of box gray scale. So finally after 900 hours I had time to get a pro in to do the job.

It was like an upgrade! Red was now RED, yellow was now YELLOW! Was it worth $400??? To me it was. If I had the money to buy a $5000 meter like he used, that would not drift and become inaccurate like the inexpensive one do, I would probably pick up a new hobby. Alas, I will probably spend the $400 every couple of years as I upgrade and replace lamps.

As to your question, get your new projector, use a calibration disk to set the user defined settings properly while using the out of box mode closest to correct and enjoy. If in 5 or 600 hours you have the funds to get a pro in, you will be able to see the improvements since you will be used to the image by that time!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the information. I really appreciate it. If I wanted to hire a pro, how would I go about finding one? I live in the Northern Virginia area. I believe Best Buy advertised calibration services but I'm not sure I would think they were the best to be had. That could be a false impression but I've noticed that when I go in there, Magnolia section included, I wind up knowing more about the stuff I want to purchase than they do. Thanks again. Happy Thanksgiving.

Dave

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

http://www.thxvideotech.com/showthread.php?t=542

This is a page showing active THX video calibrators.

Make sure you find a calibrator that is willing to educate as well as calibrate. You won't find that at BB though as they just don't have the time to do education at all. They will come and they will go and they can't do a complete job with the tools they have anyway.

Expect a calibration job with education to last 3 to 6 hours ...

regards

·
Registered
6,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkid13 /forum/post/19545002

Thanks so much for the information. I really appreciate it. If I wanted to hire a pro, how would I go about finding one? I live in the Northern Virginia area. I believe Best Buy advertised calibration services but I'm not sure I would think they were the best to be had. That could be a false impression but I've noticed that when I go in there, Magnolia section included, I wind up knowing more about the stuff I want to purchase than they do. Thanks again. Happy Thanksgiving.

Dave

This is a link to the sticky at the top of the forum that should help you locate a pro that services your area. Many of the pros tour different areas of the country at different times of the year.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=586330

There is also a lengthy thread on the the disasters caused by BB calibrations if you search for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts