AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my DTV receiver years ago it came with everything, including the dish.

From reading the threads, I'm not sure a dish comes with it. I assume my current dish won't work.

The best price I've seen posted for the 520 is $599. Does this include a dish, and if not, whats the cheapest way to get one?

·
Super Moderator
18,452 Posts
Jeff..

No, a dish doesn't come with it. Your current dish will work for all of the standard DirecTV channels and -- for the moment -- HBO-HD. For HDNet, you'll need either the oval dish or a second round dish pointed at the 119 satellite. Showtime-HD is on a third satellite where it's speculated other HD services will be added.

There are a variety of routes for getting the 3-lnb dish. DirecTV will sell you one, with installation. You can negotiate the price down with a committment to a level of programming. Just make sure they know you need the 3-lnb oval dish.

There are threads on here where some guys have gotten the dish for free or by signing up for a month of the Para Todos spanish-language package. If you search through the threads, you'll find all of it.

Otherwise, head for eBay. Some good dish deals there.

Or, if you just want HBO and HDNet, you can cobble together a 2-dish arrangement. DBS round dishes are a dime a dozen at flea markets and garage sales. And, if you home will only have one HD receiver and one SD receiver, you can keep your costs down even further.

Happy HD-ing

Doc

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only have 1 "TV" in the whole house...although its 9' wide. If I want to get "it all", will the 3 LNB dish from DTV do it? I want as few dishes on the roof as possible.

BTW, does the single dish solution require multiple cables from the dish to the 520?

·
Super Moderator
18,452 Posts
Yes

No. If it's an integrated dish, ie "multiswitch built in" You'll only need one cable. A non-integrated 3-lnb dish will require four cables to go to a multiswitch SOMEwhere, but they make outdoor ones, so it's still only one line to the HD setup.

Doc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.