AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, got a cx350, love the camcorder,.....but have a few questions:

1. when I dowload to my PC, even via PMB, the file has fragments, each fragment corresponds to a single start/stop of footage,......my previous sony was a miniDV, and downladed one entire file which could then easily be viewed in windows media player or recorded to disk,.....not so with these fragments,.....the play one fragment at a time, disjointed,.....is this normal?

2. When I back up to external hard drives, and delete off my PC, then when I try to view on my PC again, either by re-transferring to PC from external HD, or by viewing from the external HD, PMB does not seem to recognize that it has already done the analysis, and does not play it,.....very complicated.

3. every time I download to PC, the analysis process for PMB after the download is unbelievably lengthy,......

this is sooo different from the simplicity of my previous camcorder and software,.....

4. re. backing up to an external HD,....the files is fragmented, each fragment corresponds to a start-stop footage,......instead of one long movie, which was how my prevoius camcorder did it. is there a solution to this? Also,

Then, how do I go about viewing the movie off these fragemnted back-ups? And once it is moved off the PC to externalHD, PMB forgets it has gome through the analysis, which in itself is such a horridly lengthy process!?

Thanks so much in advance

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
You have posted this question all over this forum.

Sony was the first to make transfer (backup) of files from camcorders as easy as possible. This is what the web site for your camera says:

"Now there's an easy way to transfer and store videos directly from your camcorder to an external hard disk drive (sold separately), without a computer. You can even use handy playback features of this camcorder to access the videos stored on your external drive and share your memories on a compatible HDTV or monitor. "

You can DIRECTLY connect a usb drive (NO computer needed at all) to the camcorder. Using the camcorder's menus you can back up the files to the disk with one poke of your finger, done. Those clips are perfectly readable. The usb drive (portable, like one made by Western Digital) is powered by the camcorder; you do not even need AC. It could not be easier.

You can also directly - from camcorder direct to DVD writer - make disks from your clips that can be read by bluray players seamlessly, by purchasing Sony's DVD Direct writer.

That takes care of backup. To understand video you will have to learn about AVCHD, it's file system, compatability etc. I do know that you can take the sd card (if your model has one) and put it in a Panasocni Bluray player and it will play you HD videos seamlessly, for example (meaning all your clips play in order without any pauses just like they are one file).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Mark. Mark, if I back up the file directly to USB HD, what I would like to be able to do is view the video either on a PC (or possibly through USB onto a TV) without having to go through the camcorder again,......bear with me on this, as I may not understand this technology well yet,.....but with my prev camcorders it was so simple,.....is it possible to watch the directly backed up video on the usb hd without having to route through the camcorder?

Thankls again.

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
Yes, but one clip at a time. Each clip is just a file, and those files are playable using Windows Media Player (in Windows 7).

To make a continuous video out of the set of clips, if you do not get into making the AVCHD folder structure, you use a software video editor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts