AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market to purchase a new television but found myself in a state of confusion: dlp, lcd, rearprojection, rear projection lcd, plasma, picture tube, etc.

I understand aspect ratio and hdtv but I can't seem to decide on which tv type will best suit my current and future needs. Is there any forum, post, part of this site that will provide me with a good comparison of the formats highlighting major advantages and disadvantages of the above listed tv types?

Thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
first thing you need to do is spend a little time reading the various FAQs and then you will more aware of the various technologies.

You can spend hunders into tens of thousands of dollars ... price vs quality issues, size, availability all play into the decision making. But, start with the various FAQs

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand the differences in price for quality, etc but which technology is better or worse? Did you go plasma? Why? Would you stay away from rearprojection? Why? Is lcd a scam? Is dlp going to replace something? Is direct view the way to go if I want to stay in the 40" range?

I checked out some of the FAQs but really didn't see any critique of the technologies.

thanks

·
23,039 Posts
Each technology has their strong points - there is no better or worse

that can be measured to say that one is better than the other for a certain person.

It's all trade-offs. If your purchase is still "open ended" then

spend some time going to various stores looking at the various

displays. See which one(s) you like and then come back here and

search to find out what owners think about them. When looking

keep in mind the type of programming you watch (SD, DVD, HDTV),

room size/viewing distance, lighting, and your budget.

I will answer one question: No, lcd flat panel is not a scam. It's fine for

some folks. :)

larry

(plasma owner)

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
One question might be how much physical space do you have for the display. If you have the space for some of the larger options, you can get a lot for your buck by considering the DLPs and rear-LCDs you talked about, as far as size of screen. If you have to have a flat option, that narrows the field a bit.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
At above the 34" size...
CRT is out of question IMO.

Unless you want to get a 38" (16x9) "Beast" with almost 300 Lbs.

Or a "Bigger Beast" , Sony WEGA KV-40XBR800 40'' (4x3) with 310 Lbs. :D :D :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
IMO for most folks plasma is the way to go right now. Prices have literally plummeted to the point that you can now get more for about three to four grand than you could two years ago for ten to fifteen grand. The only way to decide on technology is to read the forums. Once you have decided on the technology, i.e., plasma, then you can talk size, company, model, ED vs. HD, consumer vs. commercial etc. There are no quick answers. If you want to build a serious home theater or even a modest one you have to spend time doing research and asking a lot of "specific" questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.