AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok... got my PJ and Screen worked out... even picked out my speakers.

now for the tough part - pre-processor.

definitely want something that will allow for easy switching and must support DVI in and out. However, every pre-processor I have seen has - at most - only 1 DVI in. This does'nt really help me. If I only have one DVI component to hook up to the PJ I might as well hook it up directly. if I have more than one (DVD player(s), TV Cable box, etc.) then I have to go to a DVI switch anyhow...but i do have multiple units that have component output too...

is there a pre-amp that only provides excellent audio quality/switching and a video-only processor that handles multiple DVI? What are people doing? Getting a A/V processor AND and amp AND a DVI switcher?

Also don't know if the scaler in the PJ I have decided on (Sharp Z12k) is good enough to stand on its own or if it needs the "help" of a scaler/processor like the CS-1.

Am really at a loss at what to do.. Was looking at the anthem AV20 - looks great - but no DVI support. But this will provide some video processing for the component video side, right?

I guess I could get that, an amp and a DVI switch....but that doesn't really provide any processing enhancement for the DVI side......is that even needed?

DVI, HDCP, HDMI, SDI... perhaps it's not even worth getting a processor until all of this is settled?

confused...

ideas? please?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Ofer - you are usually more helpful than that. ;)

Well - what I do is run all audio into one device (AV receiver) and use it to switch/process audio.

All video is DVI and switched using a gefen switcher to my PJ. I may add a video processor in the chain, but with my sources (satellite and OTA HD at 720p or 1080i, and an upscaling DVD player (to 720p) I'm not sure a video processor adds a whole lot.

However I am thinking of getting a DVD player with SDI out and running that into something like the new DVDO or Lumagen processors - seems you can get top notch deinterlacing as well as very flexible scaling and video controls without HDCP issues and output over DVI - this solution is a little higher in cost than a Denon 5900 with scaling and DVI out, but probably works better and provides more flexibility to run an Xbox or something else into it.

Just my $0.02.

Good luck and let us know what you choose and how it works out.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
dsroot,

Couldn't be much more helpful than that (I'm not familiar with DVI switchers, and I don't think that Gefen unit has much competition on the market today) the issue here sounds like a matter of convinience over processing.

I think that there's room in the market for a smart transcoder & switcher system that does no processing on it's own. Something like the Vision pro, but without any processing (only transcoding) might be an effective solution. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anything like that especially with DVI on it...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Also don't know if the scaler in the PJ I have decided on (Sharp Z12k) is good enough to stand on its own or if it needs the "help" of a scaler/processor like the CS-1.
From what I understand, the scaler/deinterlacer in the 12k is fantastic. Whether you want an external processor really depends on whether you want an all digital path or not (i.e. DVD -> DVI/SDI -> Scaler -> DVI -> Pj).

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
yubyub,

It would be interesting to check the 12K's processing against well known scalers.

I remember that the 9K (and later the 10K) had a really good internal scaler, but still, adding a scaler for inputs like the SVideo really benefited for that unit. It's not just a question of scaling, there's the entire analog input stage to consider.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The 9k had a terrible scaler - the CVIC 1 IIRC. The later models have the CVIC 2, which is much better than the older models. From experience with the 10k, the comb filter and such are actually rather good - definitely not as good as a pure digital solution, but absolutely acceptable for a composite/s-video source.

From what I saw in the 10k, I'd gladly give up my Faroudja NRS. The performance was quite acceptable.

These are merely observations of mine, of course, and have no hard data to back them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.