AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a really dumb question, and having grown up in the age of cable tv and now satellite, heres my antenna question. How do you point the antenna? I put an antenna in the attic that gets uhf. Its shaped like a triangle. The towers are to the NE of me, I'm told. So I an thinking of the antenna, like a satellite dish, that I should point the wide end towards the towers as to scoop up the siginals. But now I'm thinking I should point the antenna, like an arrow, pointy end towards the towers...?

>>> X (antenna to tower)

or

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Turn it around !! The smaller end should point towards the towers.

Here's some additional info : Click here

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Obviously not a dumb question at all.

It's actually this one.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Pat, what you have said about the Vs could be a bit misleading, although I realize that it applies well to certain designs, like the RS broadbands with their "swept forward" VHF elements. Since the shorter elements are normally at the front of the antenna, I would guess that randym431 should aim the point of his triangle-shaped antenna toward the transmitters, but we can't be sure without seeing it. The safest approach is probably to try it both ways and see which yields the best signal.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Seeing it would of course be best. The impression I got was that it is a UHF antenna. Using pictures of antennas on http://www.starkelectronic.com/allant.htm

The Connor Reflector #7B141 would be an odd case which would not fit the usual smaller end first scenario. A UHF triangle may correspond the arrow shaped leading elements of said RS antenna in which the arrow would point away from the transmitter. Such a description would be like the Channel Master 4248. Given the V shape in relationship to the transmitter, I couldn't think of an antenna that doesn't point the top tips of the V toward the transmitter. Of course just because I don't know about it doesn't mean there isn't one. Wow! A triple negative in the last sentence.:eek:

Maybe Randy could post the make and model while I look for an aspirin.:)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I see what you mean about the Connor 7B141. The reflector dwarfs the driven element(s). It must have a terrific F/B ratio.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.