AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Phillips dvdr 80 and can turn the progressive scan on/off.

I also am getting the Sony 910 HDTV next week.

What happens if the progressive scan is off? Do the component outputs not work? Can you still use the composite outputs?

The reason I am asking is that on the Phillips 80, the signal passes through from the cable box to the television via coax or composite outputs. I don't know if they pass through the component outputs or if the progressive scan on function changes anything.

Philips instruction doesn't seem to address this.

Enlighten me.

Thanks

HZ

·
Registered
76 Posts
Progressive scan is basically a line doubler, and eliminates the scan lines that you get from a standard interlaced signal. Click Here for a more detailed explanation. If you turn the progressive scan off, you can still pass a signal through the component output, but it will be interlaced. Since you're getting a HD set, it may also have a built in line doubler, which will upconvert the interlaced signal. Still though, with a HD set, you probably would want to set the progressive scan to on.

I had the Philips dvdr-75 briefly, and I think it passed the signal through all the outputs (could be wrong about this). If this is the case, I think just using the component progressive output to pass everything through to the tv would be the way to go, as it is a better output connection than composite or coax. It may also improve the picture quality of your coax/composite inputs since it will upconvert the signal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.