AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have six TV's. Two are newer high def. We use cable cards with them and get all the stations we want. The remaining 4 are older and plugged into cable TV outlets in the wall. All we can get on those TVs is channels up to 99. There are a few digital non-premium non-high def stations I would like to watch with higher numbers (like Bloomberg TV - which is 251 where I live).

If I get newer TVs (which I don't mind doing in my home office and kitchen) - will I be able to view these stations without a set top box (IOW - just hook up directly to the wall)? If I don't get newer TVs (I don't want to replace the TV on my patio - it's a cheap piece of garbage because it is subjected to weather extremes) - will a set top box enable me to view these stations on old TV's?

Note that I really hate set top boxes (one more piece of clutter) - but I think cable cards are basically dead now - and they never really existed in the smaller units I use in these viewing locations. So I guess I have to do something - I'm just not exactly sure what. If it makes any difference - my carrier is Comcast. Robyn

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
It varies a little by region, but in general to receive anything besides your local broadcast channels in high def you will need either a cable box or cable card.

It would be easy enough to find out. Pull the cable card out of one of your sets, do a channel scan and see what you get.

For you old sets you will need a cable box.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyn55 /forum/post/12883724

If I get newer TVs (which I don't mind doing in my home office and kitchen) - will I be able to view these stations without a set top box (IOW - just hook up directly to the wall)? If I don't get newer TVs (I don't want to replace the TV on my patio - it's a cheap piece of garbage because it is subjected to weather extremes) - will a set top box enable me to view these stations on old TV's?

Most digital cable channels are encrypted, so you'll need a card or box from the cable company no matter what TV you get. But a box should get you all the channels you're currently paying for on each TV that can hook into it (just make sure the box has the type of outputs the TV has.)

Certainly the cable company will be happy to rent you additional boxes for $5 a pop or whatever they charge.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of our digital stations are encrypted. So I wound up getting a set top box - one of the small ones - about the size of a modem. So I can now watch Bloomberg in my home office. Really isn't too much of a "decorating" problem there - since my desk is cluttered with other electronic stuff.

But I did try it in the kitchen - and it was simply awful there. I will look into the various IR and similar options - probably over the summer (when it's too hot to do anything outside in the afternoon). Thanks for your help. Robyn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts