AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seen mention of really long optical cables (50-100 ft) in various posts, does anyone have details on how to get one of these or how to make one ? I know radioshack sells an optical booster.

I want to feel the digital out of my Sound blaster Audigy Plat into another room to my main stereo to drive music.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've got a 50 foot digital optical cable that runs from the front of my stage, up the wall, across the ceiling to the next room, and into my equipment rack. I use it to connect the digital audio of my XBox when we play video games. I've had no problems with this setup at all...

I'm pretty sure I got the cable from pccables.com and it's just a cheaper plastic cable, not a glass fiber one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, it seems thats the best option, I was hoping that creating cables from scratch didn't require expensive equipment, but it seems it does...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cdturner
Thanks, it seems thats the best option, I was hoping that creating cables from scratch didn't require expensive equipment, but it seems it does...
You were right on this one. If you have access to a raw fiber, then you could purchase a pair of TOSLINK connectors and be all set.

TOSLINK connectors do not require splicing, so you would not need to get/rent a splicer.

Kirill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.