AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm pretty savvy with PCs, HDTVs, Game consoles, etc, but when it comes to giving them good audio, I'm so lost. I'll try to explain what I want in basic terms:

-I want speakers that I can run through my PC & TV (doesn't have to be at the same time, but being able to switch easily would be great)

-5.1 preferable

-Okay, you ever play Call of Duty 4, or Left 4 Dead, or any game really I guess, and you just sit there? With no music, no moving, no sounds? There is that low idling hum/howl that you hear? I love that. It sounds really powerful and atmospheric. Like a really slow wind. Do you know what I mean? I want that. When I played FPS games on my brother's THX 2.1 logitech speakers, I heard that on almost everything.

-Something ~$350 or less, preferably

My TV is a 32" Sony Bravia (About a year old), and has a digital audio out (optical), and regular audio out (left and right), it also has audio jacks (left and right) under my HDMI inputs that I don't know what are for, and a single 1/8th stereo jack audio input under my PC-in.

I have a BUNCH of consoles hooked up (360, PS3, Wii, Gamecube, Xbox, PS2, Genesis, N64) , along with a DVD/VCR combo, I don't know if that matters (Would speakers need to take the audio straight from my consoles? Or just from whatever my TV is producing?).

I'm pretty lost, and I hope I'm making sense here. What do I need?
[EDIT: no links allowed... Sigh... On logitech's website I was looking at the Z-5500 Digital speakers] I like this, (it's $300 on newegg), but I don't understand what I'm looking at in terms of hardware or specs. Would this work for me? Under compatibility it says "PC/Mac, CD, MP3, DVD, PlayStation®, Xbox®" does that mean it won't work my 360 and ps3? Because they're talking about the last-gen consoles. Can I plug it into my TV? It doesn't say anything about using these for TVs anywhere.

Aaah! I'm just lost, can anyone give me some advice and pointers?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Tons of questions rolled into a single post....

But, the short answer would be you could certainly use the Z-5500 system. It is DESIGNED for use with a system that doesn't have 5.1 channel amplification (PC's, game consoles, I-pods, MP3 players etc.). It has it's own built in amplification. All you would need to do is connect the Z-5500 system to your PC and you will be all set.

As for switching between the PC and TV (my guess the REAL question here), that.... I'm not sure of. Possibly posting this question on a gaming forum will get you a more helpful response.... sorry.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The tv digital out won't give you surround sound. You need to go straight from the xbox or source to get that. And yes any source will work but ithunk it may only have 1 toslink so that's your limiter. Wether you just plug in and unplug the consoles or find a switch is up to you.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I'm going to break a personal rule and recommend you look at the Sony HT-SS360 home theater system. For $300 or less it is a much better system to consider than the Logitech and some posters on this forum actually like it. Sony is not the same company they used to be 10 or 20 years ago, but they may have just gotten it right with this basic entry level system as long as you don't expect audiophile (whatever the hell that is ???) quality sound. You may need to rig up some form of source selection switch to handle all the input, but the more that is HDMI there are certainly HDMI selector switches on the market to handle them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.