AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning out my living room projector setup and I have a few quick questions about screen position and keystone correction (digital correction, not optical ... bad I know
). The screen that I have is 106". My ceiling is 8' high. The projector that I have is a Mitsubishi HC1500 which seems to have quite a large vertical throw of a little over 17" at this screen size. Add a few inches for the ceiling mount and that means my screen bottom is about 22 inches (viewable section would be about 23.5 inches from the floor).

That seems low to me although the screen isn't up yet, but it just seems on the low side based on my imagination. It also poses another problem ... I can't find a cabinet to put underneath the screen that's small enough yet still holds all my equipment (need something with 6 bays). So that means that if I aim for no keystone correction and have the screen this low I'll be forced to rehouse the equipment to some sort of rack that would hang from the ceiling above the screen ... chances are I'd have to build something since I can't find anything even remotely to what I would need (a 6 bay audio/video rack that's designed to hang from the ceiling).

The alternative is to raise the screen so that I can put a piece of furniture underneath the screen, however, that would call for digital keystone correction, something that is supposed to be not a good thing. Based on my calculation I would have to raise the screen around 8" to clear the piece of furniture I have in mind (24" tall) plus my center speaker sitting on top. According to triangle calculators online, that's about a 3 or 4 degree angle correction that would be needed.

So basically, do I go for no keystone correction but have a really low screen and be forced to build something to house all the equipment, or do I live with a few degrees of keystone correction and simplify the equipment issue as well as move the screen closer to that magic 1/3 of the wall height recommendation. The dilemma

What are everyone's thoughts on this ...

Thanks,

Harry

Btw, I'm usually picky based on principal (ie: I know digital keystone correction distorts the image somewhat so I'd like to avoid it), however, I'm by not means an expert at judging images, so as long as it doesn't look blurry or funny in some way there's a good chance I might not even notice a few degrees of correction.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
With little or nothing to add to your video concerns, I'd like to pose a couple of thoughts/q's.

MUST the electronics be up front? Firstly, the LEDs will take away from your visual immersion, contrast, and the physical mass will most likely incur unwanted reflections and diffractions of audio.

Also, where are you planning on having the center speaker? Its not an AT screen, is it? If not, you want to keep it away from the floor (or any boundary really). At least a couple of feet at the minimum if you can, otherwise the "mudbass" that gets excited will mask your dialogue frequencies.

Do as I say, not as I do!
I brought in the biggest screen I could possibly fit, and have my center sitting on a beefy acoustic panel... but its still surely a compromise... just wanted to add my 2 cents...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
My 100" 16x9 screen's viewing area starts 24" above the floor. My horizontal center speaker is wall-mounted just beneath the screen and angled slightly upwards. My equipment cabinet is on the left side of the room, under a large window. This arrangement looks and sounds great IMHO. YMMV.

If your room does not permit an arrangement like mine, I think you will not have any noticeable distortion with the small amount of digital keystone correction you will require. You can always try it out before you mount things permanently.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.