AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been discussed at length but I'm in need of some good advice. Yesterday I purchased the 46' Samsung C610 120hz TV and played around with it for a while yesterday. To be honest I feel a little let down by it after initially being impressed. The closer I looked at it the less impressed I became. I found the picture to be a bit grainy even when hooked up with a high end monster HDMI cable. I absolutely hate the judder motion that I'm assuming is the main point of a 120hz TV(I may be confusing the two). I'm looking at the 46' Samsung LED 5000 series and wanted some input. http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/...QFXZA-features It's 60hz and has a substantially higher contrast ratio 3 million to 1 vs. 80 000 to 1. Is this a good TV and would I see a major difference is my question. It's on sale for 1000(300 off) vs 900(70 off) that I paid so not much of a difference in price and a better sale. I mostly play blu-rays off my ps3, the occasional game, and have my external hard drive connected. Would this TV make more sense for me? I'm completely at a loss of what to do, just wasn't sure if the extra contrast would improve things. Also the response time is 6ms on the LED and 4ms on the LCD I don't know if that matter much. Any info would be hugely appreciated.

·
Registered
133 Posts
First off, return the monster HDMI cable. It is a rip off.

Secondly, 120hz is only useful for blu-ray.

Thirdly, don't pay attention to contrast ratios. They are inflated like crazy.

Fourthly, you won't tell a difference between 6ms and 4ms. Don't worry.

Go with the TV that makes YOU happy.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If its jittery, its probably due to Motion Interpolation or Smooth Motion. turn those off. And yes, return the Monster Cable, buy one from Monoprice.com for 5 bucks, and buy yourself a steak and some beers with the money you saved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's opinion on the Samsung 46' LED 5000 series that I mentioned? I'm almost positive this is the one I want, just hoping someone can verify my gut feeling or convince me that I'm wrong. Been searching all over the net for info and I basically just want the lowdown from the specs about what I can expect from the TV and if it will be a big upgrade from the 46' LCD c610 that I have.

·
Registered
12,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/19525022

100% wrong

Really? Aside from 5:5 pulldown for 24p sources like Blu-ray all it does is motion interpolation which results in the SOE or other motion blur artifacts. It could be said the only real benefit for 120Hz is avoiding 2:3 pulldown with film sources.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nramsay /forum/post/19525067

What's opinion on the Samsung 46' LED 5000 series that I mentioned? I'm almost positive this is the one I want, just hoping someone can verify my gut feeling or convince me that I'm wrong. Been searching all over the net for info and I basically just want the lowdown from the specs about what I can expect from the TV and if it will be a big upgrade from the 46' LCD c610 that I have.

A 46 foot TV is a big damn TV! Most people wouldn't have a house big enough to hold one that size.

Why do you think this TV would be a big upgrade from the C610 you currently own? Is it just because it's LED?

The Samsung LED 5000 series is their lowest rated LCD/LED and (to me) people who buy it are more interested in the sexyness of an LED and are less concerned about picture quality. There are good LED TVs out there, but I wouldn't consider the Samsung 5000 one of them. If you want an LED/LCD with good quality consider starting with the 6300.

Also, you really got ripped off with that Monster Cable, no matter how much you paid. And, as has already been mentioned, judder can be controlled or eliminated by adjusting or turning off the AMP (Automated Motion Processing) on your Samsung.

Personally, I don't see why you would go from a 120hz TV to one that's 60hz just because it's an LED. However, it's your money and your choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.