AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a pretty dumb question...

I am installing "surround sound" in my basement as I am finishing it. I bought a very basic 7.2 receiver
(Sony STR-DH740 7.2 Channel) because it was on sale. I also bought a variety of in wall speakers (1 center, two front, two rear, and one sub).

My question is related to the subwoofer. The sub that I bought is a passive speaker. I have since learned that the sub channels are not powered (Yeah, I know) so I was wondering if there was either a simple way to convert the signal to a powered signal that will work with the sub or... I was wondering if I could use the "surround back/bi-amp/front high/front b" channel on the passive subwoofer... or am I just SOL and I should just break down and buy a real powered sub.

I don't need super high quality, won't be listening to music, just want decent surround sound for movies.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
100 Posts
What sub did you get? As darthray suggested, you could get a separate sub amp, but the one he linked to is probably not your most economical option. If you can return the passive sub, your best bet would be to return it and get a powered sub. How big is your basement volume in cubic feet? Do you have a budget?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What sub did you get? As darthray suggested, you could get a separate sub amp, but the one he linked to is probably not your most economical option. If you can return the passive sub, your best bet would be to return it and get a powered sub. How big is your basement volume in cubic feet? Do you have a budget?
Thanks. Yes, I do have a budget... basically the more I spend the more heck I get from my wife. :eek:

I bought my sub from monoprice, so returning it is kinda not an option, but I'm only out about $40.

My basement is pretty large. I would say close to 5,000 cubic feet.

I should also mention that I don't particularly like a lot of bass. I think that it often times makes it too hard to hear the dialog. In my last setup I had a sony sound bar and subwoofer and would turn the bass almost all the way down.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Your soundbar may have been sending to much midrange to the sub. A properly calibrated aystem wont typically have the sub active diring dialog scenes. But as others have said, u need a seperate amp or exchange the sub.

·
Registered
841 Posts
5000 cu ft is a lot for any single sub, let alone a $40 one. Sell it on eBay or CL and buy a real sub. In a properly calibrated system the sub will in no way negatively affect dialog reproduction.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I know this is a pretty dumb question...

I am installing "surround sound" in my basement as I am finishing it. I bought a very basic 7.2 receiver
(Sony STR-DH740 7.2 Channel) because it was on sale. I also bought a variety of in wall speakers (1 center, two front, two rear, and one sub).

My question is related to the subwoofer. The sub that I bought is a passive speaker. I have since learned that the sub channels are not powered (Yeah, I know) so I was wondering if there was either a simple way to convert the signal to a powered signal that will work with the sub or... I was wondering if I could use the "surround back/bi-amp/front high/front b" channel on the passive subwoofer... or am I just SOL and I should just break down and buy a real powered sub.

I don't need super high quality, won't be listening to music, just want decent surround sound for movies.

Thanks all!
Yes, connect the in-wall sub to the Surround Back channel. Hook them up as you would a speaker. You actually should get a second in wall sub and use both.

The in wall subs are not intended to substitute or replace a conventional stand alone sub. They should however, help create a fuller overall sound. I think it a good idea to add two.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Thanks. Yes, I do have a budget... basically the more I spend the more heck I get from my wife. :eek:

I bought my sub from monoprice, so returning it is kinda not an option, but I'm only out about $40.

My basement is pretty large. I would say close to 5,000 cubic feet.

I should also mention that I don't particularly like a lot of bass. I think that it often times makes it too hard to hear the dialog. In my last setup I had a sony sound bar and subwoofer and would turn the bass almost all the way down.

Thanks for all your help.

This is a large room.
The sub you got and the amp I mention will not cut-it:(

You have to understand that speakers see the distance to you, and sub/s see the whole room and all openings.

Maybe others can offer better help for suggestion for your budget.
Just trying to let you know how audio work in disadvantage sometime:(

Ray

1 - 8 of 8 Posts