AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I was about to add some in-wall or in-ceiling speakers to my dining room, but for a few different architectural reasons, it is proving to be very difficult and turning expensive.

So instead, I'd like to try to find some really small speakers I can hide or mount. Do you have any recommendations? The smaller the better, but still looking for decent sound (if such a thing exists). This will be primarily for music. I'm not looking for super high end...like something under a few hundred bucks for the pair.

Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the Boston Acoustics Soundware xs satellites, and am very happy with them. As with any sub/sat combo, you aren't going to replicate the sound you would get with bookshelf or tower speakers. However, when your room (or wife) dictates that the speakers be the size of a softball, you live with what you are dealt.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For fist sized speakers I would suggest trying to find some Bose single cube speakers or Energy RC-Micro satellites from the 5.1 set. Since neither company sells just the small speakers individually I would suggest trying to find ones on ebay, craigslist, etc. that someone is selling as extras after upgrading some speakers in their setup. I would choose Energy over Bose if possible.

Bose - http://www.amazon.com/Acoustimass-IV.../dp/B00006J054

Energy - http://www.amazon.com/Energy-RC-Micr...4729177&sr=8-1

My parents have the Bose Acoustimass 3 Series cubes in their dining room on mounts screwed in the ceiling that hang down about 3 inches in opposite corners of the dining room; you don't notice them unless you hear music and search for a source. They put the sub laying on its side on top of a set of cabinets in the kitchen closest to the dining room, with it turned low it sounds fine, but its probably not necessary. They listen to dinner music, Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Buffet, christmas music and that sort of thing at levels to still allow easy conversation and it sounds clear and full.

I bought the Energy RC-Micro 5.1 set to startup my home theater and those little speakers can put out an amazing amount of sound and still sound great. My recevier can put out 110watts per channel, these reccomend 100 watts max, and I've never had a single bit of distortion or clipping even when cranking the volume to as loud as my ears could stand, louder a few times. I just upgraded my fronts but I don't want to part with the extras since I am going to use them for 7.1 when I move again in a few years, but maybe someone else with part with theirs.

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt
really small and good for music don't go together...

That's my motto, it's pretty musch what I tell my girl every time she see a small speaker in magazine and tries to hand me an idea

Djoel

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Not sure of your budget but a few weeks ago I heard the PSB Imagine mini. I initially heard them outside a dealers room and they sounded like small floor standers. When I went in the room to look these speakers I saw that they stood only 9.25" tall. I don't know how he did it but designer Paul Barton has really hit a homerun w/these speakers. They run between $759-$850 depending on finish. You can run them on as little as 10wpc. So just about any receiver will do. Check them out on Audio Advisor if you don't have a dealer near you.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
How about the mirage omd-5? Vans.com still has them. The rosewood would look nice in a dining room.

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 /forum/post/20890923

How about the mirage omd-5? Vans.com still has them. The rosewood would look nice in a dining room.

How about the B&W LM-1 in your signature, I use to own a pair pretty robust for their diminutive size.

Djoel

·
Registered
166 Posts
Cambridge Audio s30 is a small bookshelf speaker that throws out a pretty big sound. It play music very well and are pretty good looking. I have the dark oak finish. $220.

You can also check out the s20 but I've never heard them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.