AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know this may sound dumb but I am doing some re-cabling (changing from RG59 to RG6) and have a question regarding the connectors. I have all the right tools but my question surrounds putting the connector on. After properly stripping the cable do you:

1. Fold the braid back over the sheathing and then put the connector on? If so, is it okay to have a little bit stick out below the connector?

OR

2. Once stripped, leave the braid where it is and then put the connector on?

Sorry if this seems basic. If anyone has a picture or a link to one, that would help.

I've tried both ways and they both seem to work but I want to know the proper way.

Thanks!

· Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Both will work as long as the braid never touches the center. If the stripping is done with a tool designed for the job, there is either no braid above the jacket cut or braid is left with the intent to flare it.

If it is cut off at the jacket cut so only the dielectric is left, the inner connector sheath slides between the jacket and the dielectric foam.

If braid is left, flare it a little so the inner connector sheath goes between it and the dielectric. There is no need to unbraid it and fold it back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.