AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the US open I really want and need to record HDTV. It is unbelivable that we have to rewind to the 70's where we have to go home to watch something.

This year it was impossible for me to watch the earlier match on Friday. Or, I guess, I could have quit my job and stayed home and watch.

What is the best solution today? I am guessing an HTPC with one of the two boards available. But would like to hear.

-Jym-

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
There are very few options that allow HDTV recording. These are the sum of what is available and what is coming in the next 60 days:

1. HTPC with HDTV tuner card and capture software. Makes a PC into a "TIVO" like device but only works with OTA HDTV...no HBO, HDNET. PPV or Showtime.

2. The Panasonic HD STB (older models 50 and 51) with the HD1000 DVHS recorder. No longer produced.

3. The Dish 5000 STB with HD Modulator and the Panasonic STB (again older model) and the DVHS HD VCR. All No longer produced. This combination will record ALL the available HDTV on OTA and Satellite.

4. The new Mits DVHS HD VCR to be released bt the end of October. Cost...less than $1000 but requires a 1394 "firewire" input. Has no internal HD tuner. Will only work with new Mits and Sony HD RPTV's that contain HD tuner and Firewire module. Again will only record OTA HDTV.

5. The new JVC DVHS HD VCR. To be released again by the end of October. Very much the same as #4 as far as no tuner. Firewire input, OTA only with a cost of $2,000.

That is it.

Lee

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just to add to Lee's post...

There also are the W-VHS units from JVC which record analog component HD.

As far as HDNet goes, I believe the W-VHS is the only way to record it because The Dish 5000 STB with HD Modulator and the Panasonic STB and the DVHS HD VCR will only record Satelite signals from Dish Network.

Lee, correct me if I am wrong.

------------------

Casey

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I have hopes for the Mits DVHS HD VCR. It should work on my Sony KD-34XBR2. Only problem though is if the unit "receives" its' input from my Sony HDTV OTA tuner won't that eliminate my being able to watch another HDTV channel while recording another?

With ABC's Fall 2001 announcement there are finally going to be times when good HD programs will be going head-to-head against each other.

Garrett

·
Registered
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LeeAntin:
3. The Dish 5000 STB with HD Modulator and the Panasonic STB (again older model) and the DVHS HD VCR. All No longer produced. This combination will record ALL the available HDTV on OTA and Satellite.
Two minor corrections... The Dish 5000 STB can also be used with any of the HTPC based solutions (number 1). Also anything mixed with this will let you record all OTA and DISH Sat HD. This doesn't give you the ability to record things only on DirecTV (like HDnet).

-apnar

·
Registered
272 Posts

Do you have any links or anymore details about this W-VHS units? I didn't know that there are vcr's that can record analog component video. How does it handle dolby digital?

Quote:
Originally posted by casenpt1:
Just to add to Lee's post...

There also are the W-VHS units from JVC which record analog component HD.

As far as HDNet goes, I believe the W-VHS is the only way to record it because The Dish 5000 STB with HD Modulator and the Panasonic STB and the DVHS HD VCR will only record Satelite signals from Dish Network.

Lee, correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
There are a couple of machines that can do this. They are the JVC SR-W5U and SR-W7U W-VHS decks. The recording is analog and the sound is only stereo (Pro Logic) but several forum members that use them have said that the picture is just as good as digital HDTV recorded with the Panasonic D-VHS. The W-VHS tapes it uses are also expensive (about $30 each). Its MSRP is around 5k but you can find them in the net for much less. One of them sold on E-bay a few weeks ago for $1500. There's also a member with a Japanese connection who stated on this thread that he can get them from Japan for $1250. I believe this is a very good option and it doesn't break the bank. The only downside I see is that you won't be able to get 5.1 sound but not many HD broadcasts have 5.1 sound anyway! I'm saving up for one of these already http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

[This message has been edited by vruiz (edited 09-09-2001).]

·
Registered
272 Posts

Although I have two DV100 units, this sounds like an acceptable solution especially for people that don't care about dolby 5.1 I wonder if somehow you could record the soundtrack on another digital system and then match the sound to the image..that would be interesting.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but don't the SR-W5U and SR-W7U record the analog HDTV signal that is currently output by all set top boxes and HDTV tuners currently in existence?

If and when the day comes that Echostar and DirecTV are forced to start cutting off the analog HDTV signal coming out of their STB's, won't you be left with a multi-thousand dollar VCR that can only record satellite programs at 480i? Blech.

------------------

Scott Gammans
DFAST is EVIL! BOYCOTT ANTI-CONSUMER 5C/DVI/HDCP MANUFACTURERS!
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:

The new Mits DVHS HD VCR to be released bt the end of October. Cost...less than $1000 but requires a 1394 "firewire" input. Has no internal HD tuner. Will only work with new Mits and Sony HD RPTV's that contain HD tuner and Firewire module. Again will only record OTA HDTV.
you forgot about people, like myself, who who digital cable HD. I get all of my locals, HBO, and SHO over my digital cable HD. it is in QAM format and the the Mit's with internal decoders support QAM. therefore all of these stations would be output to the D-VHS recorder.

------------------
ADebars>
Mitsubishi WT-46807 Widescreen HDTVs>
JVC XV-S65 Progressive Scan DVD Players>
General Instruments HDD-200 HDTV Decoders>
Time Warner - Houston HD Services>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz:
The only downside I see is that you won't be able to get 5.1 sound but not many HD broadcasts have 5.1 sound anyway!
Vic,

Re: W-VHS HD recording, the other downsides are very expensive/fragile metal particle tapes and the less than perfect rendering. Having said that, I'm now so used to time-shifting HD DirecTV (and OTA) material that I'd be lost without it. As for not having 5.1 recording facility, since I'm something of an audio-philestine, anything with stereo is a treat for me!

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

[This message has been edited by HiDefGuy (edited 09-09-2001).]

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi guys, I am the member in Japan who said he could get the WVHS units for $1250. I cannot say for sure I can get them so easily anymore; the place that I was going to get them from sold 6 in about two weeks after I posted (which is surprising to me since analog HDTV is pretty dead here and the selection of DVHS recorders and set top boxes is pretty wide). I believe there were thousands sold here before Japan's HDTV went digital so there should be more out there but it might take a little searching. I plan to contact JVC to find out how much they charge to install new heads on these machines so that even if someone buys a used recorder at least the heads will be pristine.

Keep in mind that other posters say that the WVHS recorders don't work with the RCA DTC-100 set top boxes and this link http://www.accupel.com/HDG2000_FAQ_f.html seems to shed light on why. Also other posters have said that the WVHS recorders don't record the signal from progressive scan DVD players with component outs.

Right now the price of the 120 minute WVHS tapes is $21.95 each while the 180 minute WVHS tapes are $33.60 each but Express Mail Service shipping to the US (which the Japan Post Office says is 5 days but which I has been more like 3 days when I used it before) adds about $5.50 per tape and so far I have shipped blank tapes to a couple of people (1 in the US and 1 in Canada) without either of them being charged any duties. As you can see Vic is pretty correct about about the high cost of the blank tapes.

I hope to use the HiPix, the Key Digital VGA to component transcoder and the HiPix test patterns (originally provided by AVS Forum member Glimmie) to check out what sort of resolution the WVHS recorders are capable of capturing.

Milton

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:

4. The new Mits DVHS HD VCR to be released bt the end of October. Cost...less than $1000 but requires a 1394 "firewire" input. Has no internal HD tuner. Will only work with new Mits and Sony HD RPTV's that contain HD tuner and Firewire module. Again will only record OTA HDTV.
This is untrue. It can only record what HD it can get over 1394/DTCP. This could be anything. If a 1394/DTCP compliant cable or DBS STB was present in it's network, it could presumably record any HD video which that STB could tune (well, anything it could tune except PPV, which would probably be broadcast with "Copy Never" protection--the only which can be broadcast that way, according to the DTCP Adopter's Agreement).

-- Mike Scott

[This message has been edited by michaeltscott (edited 09-10-2001).]

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
I'm moving this to the HDTV Recording Forum. Those interested may also want to read the new JVC DHVS topic for some interesting information.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.