AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing Beyond Good and Evil for the GameCube . . . which, by the way, is a great game. As far as I can remember this is the first game that has an aspect ratio greater then 1:76 to 1 (16:9). I would say that the aspect ratio is closer to 2 to 1. With the game being so wide, it really gives the game a different feel.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Is it really 'wider' or does it just have letter box bars. How would you know if this game is wider anyway? Because it contains more distance on the screen? I don't know how much of a difference it would be in a game since on screen action can be scaled differently.

·
Registered
746 Posts
When the game is zoomed into my 16x9 screen, there are very little in the way of black bars. Appears to be 1.78-1.85 to me. Too bad the game isn't anamorphic (there is NO good reason why it isn't).

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lindberg
When the game is zoomed into my 16x9 screen, there are very little in the way of black bars. Appears to be 1.78-1.85 to me. Too bad the game isn't anamorphic (there is NO good reason why it isn't).
You're right. I don't understand why they didn't use a anamorphic mode with this game.

Using Cinema mode on my screen, I still get very defined black bars on the top and bottom. With 1:85 to 1 movies I have almost no bars on top and bottom. I think the game is closer to 2 to 1 ratio.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Salmoneous
Sounds like your TV may be using a Wide mode rather than a Zoom mode. It might be worth checking on.
I have been using 'Cinema' mode.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The game is 1.78:1 naturally, with black bars on top and bottom at all times.

It's not anamorphic, so unless you vertically stretch it on a 16:9 set, you're going to be distorting the image in the same way a DVD that is not anamorphic is distorted.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MisterMe
You're right. I don't understand why they didn't use a anamorphic mode with this game.
I assume it's a way to force everyone to play in widescreen since most people still don't have 16:9 displays. At the same time, it removes the possibility of using an anamorphic mode in 4:3 (stretched). It's not necessarily a good call, but I can only assume this is the reason. If someone told me that a game had to absolutely be widescreen for everyone without exception, that's how I'd do it.

Shawn

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
I play the game in Zoom mode on my Sony. I can't even see the black bars now and everything in the game seem proportional...no obvious stretching. All in all it looks good and is a great game so far. I hope to get more time to play tonight after football and Alias ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.