AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Bakersfield we get PBS from a translator of KVPT Fresno. The translator is on RF and virtual channel 18. KVPT's main signal is on RF channel 40 virtual channel 18. I think that Bright House cable retransmits this translator, but it is possible that they receive the signal directly from the Fresno station. Early Monday morning was flipping through the channels and KVPT was on as normal. I flipped through the channels again at 1AM and saw commercials on what is supposed to be KVPT and also on what is supposed to be Create. After the commercials ended, an episode of Ugly Betty, in HD, was on where KVPT should be. I pushed the button that brings up the program data and it still showed the data for KVPT, except that it said the signal was 720p instead of 1080i. I immediately thought of the unusual clouds in the sky and wondered if KTXL FOX 40 from Sacramento was coming in via tropo strong enough to overpower KVPT, also on RF40. I flipped by A/B switch and changed the tv to air mode, tuned in 18-1 and IT REMAPPED TO CHANNEL 40! The data showed KTXL and listed Ugly Betty. A FOX40 bug had appeared by then. 40-2 was Antenna TV. Somehow KTXL's signal was overpowering KVPT's signal at LP18's site and causing the translator to rebroadcast KTXL instead of KVPT! HOW IN THE HECK IS THIS POSSIBLE??? I would think that a translator that is set up for 3 subchannels with the main one in 1080i would become confused at receiving input with 2 subchannels the main one at 720p. Maybe it is merely harmonically changing the frequency from RF 40 to RF 18. I would think that Bright House's QAM modulator for cable RF 77 would choke on such a change, but apparently not. KTXL continued coming in loud and clear both OTA and on cable for about 10 minutes, then began to break up. About 5 minutes later I never received it again, but apparently enough of their signal was still present to interfere with KVPT and cause a blank screen both OTA and on cable. I went to bed then and today everything is back to normal. IS THIS WIERD OR WHAT??? I didn;t get to check if I could receive the RF40 signal directly or not because with RF 18 mapping to virtual 40 entering 40-1 automatically tuned in RF 18 and it all happened so fast I didn't think to delete 18 and then enter 40-1. Back in 1989, before Bakersfield had LPs on 31 and 58, one night I received channels 31, 40, and 58 from Sacramento for one whole evening and watched a movie on one of them, I don't remember which. Another night in the mid 90s, when KCOP13 L.A. didn't stay on 24 hours a day, right after KCOP signed off, KOVR 13 Sacramento came on cable, albeit snowy. Tropo from Sacramento to Bakersfield apparently happens from time to time. I wonder if people in Sacramento were receiving any Bakersfield stations at the same time.

·
Registered
965 Posts
KTXL is my problem here. I know they are on rf 40, just like they were prior to the transition. Unfortunately, that was the strongest uhf from Walnut Grove prior to the transition, complete with obvious multipath.

With one amplified indoor antenna, I've received KBCW from Sutro. While not watchable, I've achieved a brief A/V lock twice. That's constant fractured A/V for several minutes. There is a closer and stronger channel on the same rf frequency according to TVFool.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.