AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I think it all depends on what you are trying to output to. For a SDTV it probably is fine. For large screen TVs and Projectors, not so fine. I also understand from a review (mini-itx.com) that it has had problems with Divx (the various versions).

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Ho I made a small error on my part be side that Namlemez is wrong about picture quality on Xcard.

Read all the review out there
http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/xcard/
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/p...390870,00.html
http://www.techspot.com/reviews/hard...rd/index.shtml

I have done review of this card to and there are other out as well and everbody that review it all of them petty much said Quote something long this line: We found the Xcard to be an efficient video decoder with excellent quality now I'm not pick on Namlemez in any way just point out the fact which are don't knock it in tell you try for your self.

Please don't start about poor MPEG-4 DivX support yes they know there are a few bug with that but also keep in mind it hardware was base on MPEG-4 version 1 specifications so more advanced MPEG-4 features like in version 2 specifications don't work with the Xcard that will need all new chipset to support thoses advanced features also it dose help when they had no ISO standard which I re-call see some where that just finsh the ISO standard for it.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
SHS,

I guess I could fire back a joke about Missouri, but I was born in Kansas so I guess I'm not that far removed :)

Sorry I missed this thread and a timely response. I should have phrased my answer a little better. While the picture quality might not be poor, it is nothing special and is bested by most any recent software decoder.

The reviews you quote are from mass-market media and are not going to be as picky as someone from here. If you want more information, go search for threads by Xcel on this card. He got one and was pretty disappointed if I remember correctly.

Edit:

SHS I went and did more footwork for you. Since I never saw this myself, I'll get some random quotes from Wayne for you. If you want to argue with him on HTPC expertnes...well good luck :)

Quote:
The colors lack punch as well as depth and the display is really soft vs. a Radeon at 480p via component but especially at 720p via RGB out.

S/PDIF output works as expected for both DD and DTS but it sounds a little flatter than what I have heard from the M-Audio cards? I can’t quite place my hands on it but it is different.

If you play the card through the pass-thru cable for a HQ and scaled RGB output, it is really soft …

I will say this in not so blunt terms but what in the hell has the Sigma Designs design engineers been doing for the past 3 years?

The only thing left for me to do now is figure out a way to return this card that I had previously canceled months ago since it is all but useless to most HTPC'ers ...
Now that I think about it, Sigma Designs is also the company that tried to claim parts of the XviD OPEN SOURCE codec as their own proprietary work. IIRC, the project shut down for a long period of time to protest this. I would personally not support this type of company even if they have made some half steps to rectify the situation.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Prior to this card's release, I was in contact with a Sigma designs product rep, and was partially responsible for pushing to get AC3 DivX support, with the idea that it would be a great solution for DivX playback for me...

They added the feature, I bought the card, and I sold it a week or so later. PQ was lackluster compared to my S-Video output of my Radeon (now using VGA out to my Plasma), support for DivX4.0+ was good, but 5.+ was spotty and incomplete (qpel, bi-directional, etc), and the software at that time (not sure if they've updated it) was very buggy and unstable...

I spent a bit of time defending this card on this board (in principle for what it could do and how it could be implemented) but have given up since I've never been impressed with it's performance.

Just my $0.04 (adjusted for inflation)

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Yes I re-call Xcel review and yes he was disappointed on what he tryng run it on which min of us can not aford to buy and hasn't update his review with any of newer drivers pass ver 1.0 if I re-call rigth that I don't for sure being I haven't look at the post in some time, but no matter what there always be disappoint user out there.

As for DivX/XviD codec so called own proprietary Hmm I seem re-call that all of this start out as heck MS MPEG-4 codec, so real questions is really own it in the first place.

I beat there more to the real story over XviD copy source code You and I well never the real story to all this.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I'm having a little trouble understanding what you are saying, but let me try to respond here...

Drivers are all well and nice, but output hardware can't be fixed. Many of the problems he quoted were things a driver can't fix (bad pass-through, etc.)

As for XviD, you need to read up on it a little more. :) XviD was created as competition to DivX, which already broke away from the hacked code starting at version 4. It is an implementation of an ISO standard and shares nothing with the hacked DivX 3 series but the reversed name and the fact that it is MPEG 4 based.

The "real" story was not an overly complicated one, and is pretty well documented on the various sites that carried the news (check Slashdot, etc.)

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
The real (ongoing) story, from www.xvid.org:

Quote:
As you may have noticed, Sigma Designs released the source code to their REALmagic MPEG-4 Video Codec shortly after our initial press release. This was followed by a brief apology to the open source community. However, the source code released contains Sigma Designs copyrights on many files that were never modified by Sigma Designs.

Through the Free Software Foundation, we contacted Sigma Designs and requested the copyrights be corrected. Thus far, our efforts have failed, and we are now considering some alternative action. We're not giving up!
- Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.