Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have already heard of the following [sweet] announcement:

The Realta (with HQV Technology)

In short, it's the ultimate in video processing. No really, it is.

The Realta's PCI interface means that there are serious implications for the HTPC market.

I'm curious: what product(s) do you feel are the current best of the best in HTPC video processing? what are their strengths/limitations? would you like to see Realta fitted into your HTPC? if so, what would be the ideal vehicle?

Thanks!

·
Registered
630 Posts
ive read it before and it sounds great.

hardware HD mpeg2/4 decoding + realta processing

option to send directly to display device (like myhd120) or internal graphics subsystem

please support linux

exciting times...

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I would say, stick that chip into a dvd-player/recorder with TV-in and network connection (essentially an HTPC without the hassle).

·
Premium Member
13,880 Posts
Well since you asked ;). Best of the best currently is the 6800 series in conjunction with the NVidia 4 codecs and the FFDShow. But I know you've already read some of Vlad's comments on that. The strength is almost complete control of the image, start to finish. I can choose any number of ways to strangle and mangle it to have what I consider "the best."

Obvious weaknesses are cost and complexity. To have a beastmachine capable of doing what I want it to do isn't cheap. FFDShow is great, but implementing Lancosz8 or 10 scaling will cause even the top CPUs to begin smoking a bit. That's just with 480p DVD material. Using FFDshow on true Hi Def stuff is punishing. And the complexity issue isn't easily solved. With great control comes great complexity. Just see the FFDShow FAQ thread for evidence of that.

As for how I'd like it... it seems like the intent would be as a dedicated output seperate from the video card. Do you envision loopthrough of the desktop, much like the MyHD card can do with the daughter card? Do you envision a video input so that you could pass through and scale external sources like cable boxes, etc;?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Gimme a Realta PCI-Express based card with the various input options (SDI, PDI, DVI, RGB, Component, Svideo, Composite) not really expecting HDCP as I am sure this would complicate things) that will pass the video over the PCI-Express bus such that I can further process/manipulate the stream via ffdshow if need be, and then output via whatever video card of the month and drivers look good.

The various inputs could be handled via a daughterboard that eats another slot (not going across the bus, just sits there and cabled into the primary)

I think a card like this would be great, and I am sure someone else is going 'what about capturing, put a MPEG2 encoder into it'. Well that would be nice, but I am looking purely at a video processor/scaler situation and not a HD capture solution that so many others want at the moment.

Essentially I am looking for what I believe what the H3DIII should be if Immersive (with other investors) continued along the same product line.

-pd

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes, definitely check out the Immersive products. PCI-X (3.3volt) and Mac OSX compatibility is a must. HD-SDI input would be very nice! I will post back later with more features to add to the wish list...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
- stick that chip into a dvd-player/recorder with TV-in and network connection
Ok. :)

Quote:
To have a beastmachine capable of doing what I want it to do isn't cheap.
The Realta outperforms a Pentium 4 processor. In fact, it's 10x faster (measured in operations per second). This isn't marketing BS.

Quote:
Do you envision loopthrough of the desktop, much like the MyHD card can do with the daughter card? Do you envision a video input so that you could pass through and scale external sources like cable boxes, etc;?
Yes.

Quote:
(SDI, PDI, DVI, RGB, Component, Svideo, Composite) not really expecting HDCP
Ok.

Quote:
such that I can further process/manipulate the stream via ffdshow
I've yet to use ffdshow but I will soon. But since this is essentially a 'Teranex in a chip' users can have Photoshop-like control over realtime video; implementing this is up to OEMs.

Quote:
check out the Immersive products.
Immersive definetely delivers quality products; I'm sure the H3DIII will be amazing... :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HQV

Immersive definetely delivers quality products; I'm sure the H3DIII will be amazing... :)
Hopefully if they goinig to use your chip they will get some support Genesis could not give them. So we do not end up like we are now with a fantastic product with one major flaw: chroma delay between the colors.

Jaco

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HQV

I'm curious: what product(s) do you feel are the current best of the best in HTPC video processing? what are their strengths/limitations?

Thanks!
HQV, check out this thread by odyssey.

He seems to have the ultimate application for a PC in his video chain.

Strictly speaking one wouldn't call his system an HTPC any more.

It is more like a video processing supercomputer.

Kai

·
Registered
652 Posts
Quote:
would you like to see Realta fitted into your HTPC?
HQV, I've followed the Realta saga since the beginning, and was initially very excited by Algolith's upcoming Dragonfly scaler. However, their limited choice of inputs has cooled my interest considerably. So my answer to this question is YES. Teranex-class performance without leaving the confines of my HTPC? Sign me up for two :p

Quote:
if so, what would be the ideal vehicle?
I think pdermody described my dream solution already :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.