AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody picked this up? The only review I've seen is on DVDTalk.com.

Just got it yesterday and I love it - for fans of the film, you must pick it up. Anamorphic 16:9 transfer DD and DTS 5.1 (although it's a modest re-mix with very little directional surround), lots of interviews and deleted scenes in 16:9.

What a surprise!

Anyone else notice this and Night of the Living Dead: Millennium Edition are kinda hard to find? I picked it up at a Virgin Superstore - Best Buy/Circuit City don't seem to carry either copy.

Flexx

Visit The CineFlexx
http://members.aol.com/beautymarkstudio/Home.html

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I didn't like the DTS track. I thought the surrounds were too loud. I was very pleased with the original mono. Video quality wasn't reference, but it looked very good considering how bad it could have looked. The cast & crew commentary track was entertaining. Overall, I liked the release a lot.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi Flexx,

I assumed that most of my local stores would carry this title...not. I did find it on its release date, but insanely overpriced. I quickly raced back to my office and ordered on-line only to find it back ordered.:(

Anyways, it has shipped and should be arriving any moment...this was a real tease to have in my hands and not be able to take it home for the old instant gratification. Shame on me.

I'll post back as soon as it comes....I can't wait!!!!!

Howie

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I like Reanimator. I'll buy the new DVD, and thank you for the review from someone who appreciates good stuff. I think however that the best HP Lovecraft-inspired movie was From Beyond. (Allright, maybe my preference has something to do with the scenes where the gorgeous Barbara Crampton is dressed in a Black Leather bondage outfit.) Unfortunately I've only seen From Beyond once in Widescreen on HBO years ago. The SciFi channel has run the fullscreen version recently, but I wish they would do a deluxe DVD of this classic horror flick.

Speaking of HP Lovecraft, I presume most of you have seen the classic Stephen King movie Creepshow. Did any of you think the episode where King played the bumpkin Geordie was derivative of Lovecraft's story The Colour From Beyond Space?

Gary

·
Registered
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary McCoy
I like Reanimator. (Allright, maybe my preference has something to do with the scenes where the gorgeous Barbara Crampton is dressed in a Black Leather bondage outfit.) Gary
I loved this movie and can't count how many times I made a mess to that

scene:D Would LOVE to own From Beyond!!

·
Registered
988 Posts
I did not make it through all the extras but did enjoy the deleted scene. What I thought was especially good about the extras were the two sections with Richard Band the composer. He had some interesting things to say about is "Psycho-like" score (and some nasty comments he had received from Bernard Hermann enthusiasts) and some clips with just the music, so you could here just what a good job he did it.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I haven't seen the older release. The new one is anamorphic and while not in the same league as transfers of new films from the major studios, it does look good. It's not a disaster. I was under the impression that the old transfer was non-anamorphic.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I found From Beyond on e-bay, it was in 4:3 with DD and it has Chinese subtitles that are easy to ignore, but I really liked this movie too and it's the only copy I found on DVD. Sorry to deviate from the original thread but I had to let ya know you can get it on DVD with a few exceptions.

Peace out.

·
Registered
977 Posts
The new version is THX remastered, and unlike the previous release is anamorphic.

I still haven't been able to watch this yet, but from what others have mentioned the new transfer is mostly artifact free, with much better color saturation and improved black levels. The only possible down side may be the appearance of our old "friend" mister edge (non)enhancement. Also, this 2 disc set is packed with tons of extras not included on the old version.

As for From Beyond I think it's only a matter of time before it becomes available. This is another title that deserves the full remastering treatment!

Howie

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Davis
I didn't like the DTS track. I thought the surrounds were too loud. I was very pleased with the original mono. Video quality wasn't reference, but it looked very good considering how bad it could have looked. The cast & crew commentary track was entertaining. Overall, I liked the release a lot.
Interesting - I thought the surrounds (I heard the DTS track) were low-key for the most part.

Still love what Elite did with the title!

Flexx

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Darrin

I loved this movie and can't count how many times I made a mess to that

scene:D Would LOVE to own From Beyond!!
The Pineal Gland (sp?) is KING!

Flexx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.