AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!! I have a Toshiba TW65H80 rear projection television that just started acting weird yesterday. While watching, the upper left portion of the screen started skewing the blue light tone. I looked into the setup and saw that it is the blue that is acting weird. It looked as if someone put their finger in the corner of an LCD screen and squeezed really hard. I don't know what the issue is. Is this an easy fix, or a problematic issue (time to retire the set)?

This is a 2000 era television and has an absolutely wonderful picture (with light control). I do like the newer televisions, but don't have the funds to throw $2500-$5000 around for an upgrade just yet. If this repair is going to cost too much, I won't start throwing away good money after bad. Does anyone know what this problem is and how to fix it?

As for new DLP and Plasma screens, where should I start looking? I would like a comparable size 60"+, and I would like something that isn't affected so much with daylight like my current set. Any ideas between these two technologies?

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickd61 /forum/post/0

Help!! I have a Toshiba TW65H80 rear projection television that just started acting weird yesterday. While watching, the upper left portion of the screen started skewing the blue light tone. I looked into the setup and saw that it is the blue that is acting weird. It looked as if someone put their finger in the corner of an LCD screen and squeezed really hard. I don't know what the issue is. Is this an easy fix, or a problematic issue (time to retire the set)?

This is a 2000 era television and has an absolutely wonderful picture (with light control). I do like the newer televisions, but don't have the funds to throw $2500-$5000 around for an upgrade just yet. If this repair is going to cost too much, I won't start throwing away good money after bad. Does anyone know what this problem is and how to fix it?

As for new DLP and Plasma screens, where should I start looking? I would like a comparable size 60"+, and I would like something that isn't affected so much with daylight like my current set. Any ideas between these two technologies?

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick,

As luck would have it, I just had this same problem (I think), only mine was the red gun. If I put the service menu convergence grid up, the blue and green were fine, but the red, in only the upper left corner and only in the 1080i mode, was skewed about 8 inches to the right of the other 2 beams. Way too far for a convergence adjustment.

About 2 years after I purchased the set, the red gun started a jittering effect where it would vibrate or jitter just the red color up to an inch to the right of the other colors. No adjustment would fix it, so I figured it was the Digital Convergence Board and bought one from Vance Electronics. When I put the board in, the geometry was messed up (but could be adjusted), but the red jitter was still there. So, I took the board out and put it in the attic since the current board's geometry was already calibrated. The jitter turned out to be dirty connections where the three gun convergence connectors plug into the motherboard. Just unplugging and re-plugging them cleaned up the jitter and I have done that about 5 times over the 8 years I've had the set.

Of course this time, that was not the problem and leads me back to your problem. Something has gone south on your Digital Convergence board. I ordered mine from Vance Baldwin Electronics . I do not remember the part number off hand, but if you need it, let me know and I'll look at the old board tonight for you and give you the part number. I do not know if they still stock parts for this TV, but I hope so. You will have to redo your geometry after installing the new board and of course do the service level convergence as well.

Hope this helps!

Edited to add: BTW, I just checked the Vance Baldwin website and the convergence board is still on their site and sells for $130.00.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts