AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a new tv. Went to best buy, CC and HHGreg. I'm interested in a 50-57" set. I will be using digital cable with a HD box rented from my local cable company to view broadcast tv. I have progressive scan dvd player that I will be hooking up to it. I'm also very interested in connecting the tv to my computer for watching archived movies and surfing the net.

First of all the LCD tvs, Panasonic PT-50LC13 ($2999.00) at Best Buy and CC, and the Hitachi 50V500 ($2970) have RGB (VGA) inputs so I can connect them directly to my Nvidia Geforce 2 vid card. I took a notebook up with me and it looks the notebook only showed at 4:3 on Normal display on the Panasonic LCD. HHGreg didn't have the Hitachi in stock to test. We couldn't get the dvd image, off the notebook, to take up the full screen, even though it was a 16:9 dvd. If you put the tv in wide mode it would stretch it horizontally but not vertically. Can I use a program like Powerstrip to change the output resolution to trick it into displaying it correctly. Do I need a second pci vid card to display my pc monitor and tv at the same time? Can standard monitors display the funking Powerstrip resolutions temporarly. What do people think about viewing regular digital cable with the LCDs. Most of the stuff I'm going to be watchins is not HD. I'm running Win XP Pro. Any other LCDs worth considering?

Secondly, considering a rear projection CRT. Best buy recommended the Toshiba 57H83 ($1799) over the 55" Misubishi Silver series ($2099). I have heard good things about Misubishi, don't know much about Toshiba. Anyway, these tvs are much move economical then the LCDs. But they have no RGB (VGA)inputs. I read through some for the threads an it looks like people are using a VGA to Component video converter. If you use one of these, do you need to buy a second vid card or does it go between your computer and monitor. If it does go between, do you still need to use a program like Powerstip to get it to display correctly on the tv. If so, does it mess up your monitor to display a funky resolution. Which converter is best, and should I consider a brand other then Toshiba or Misubishi. I will be watching movies off the computer maybe 3% of the time, the rest will be off digital cable.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I work at an electronics retailer and I look at screens all day. Rear projection crts handle motion alot better than DLPs and LCDs. However, the Panny 50" rear lcd does an adequate job in handling motion blur.

If you want to hook up your comp to your set and watch movies, I'd get a DLP or LCD because it can support higher resolutions. By that I mean it can display true 720p if needed. Also, if your comp has a DVI out, your comp will recognize the DLP and panny as a monitor.

As far as rear projections are concerned, I'd take a Mits diamond series tv anyday while watching a hi def signal anyday over the DLP or LCD. The picture is alot smoother and it handles motion better.

Rear crts may suffer from screen burn, but I think that it is an extremely overrated issue. LCDs and DLPs dont suffer from screenburn.

BTW, you can get the 50" LCD from Ultimate Electronics for 2700.00

The Hitachi, you can also get it for the same price.

Any other questions? I look at these things all day and can help anyone on here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I bought a crt rear projection and used a vga to component adapter, what resolution could I output? And are these pass through converters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.