AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might need to backup one step in my quest for the best setup I can afford. What are the benefits of rear vs front dlp in the $4500.00 range. I hope to watch Directv along with DVD's and High Def (in the future) on either unit. Thanks, dan

·
Registered
856 Posts
Well the obvious is with rear projection you don't have to worry about anyone standing in the way of the projection. And you don't need to close your curtains. Front projection you will need a screen and place to mount the projector. But you get a much bigger screen to view.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I bought a samsung 617 and thought it was a very good picture, but I really wanted the whole movies experience. So, I instead got a front projector (sanyo PLV 70), which is great for rooms with alot of ambient light. The samsung was only 61 inches, and now I've got a 130 inch screen, for roughly the same price. I can watch TV with the lights on without any problems. I'll pick up a LCOS set in the future as prices drop. Obviously its best to have both, but if you have to choose, I would definitely consider a FP. There is nothing like having your own movie theater at home. And those tiny 65 inch screens can't compare.

The other issue is that for $4500, you can pick up a CRT 35 inch regular TV AND a HS10 sony projector and have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I too have considered the FP approach, but I bought a RPTV. Unless you have a dedicated home theatre room the RPTV has several advances:

Easy set up – Roll it in and you’re done – With FP you need to do a significant amount of install running wires through the ceiling and unless you have a dedicated HT room (or very understanding wife) you’ll need a roll up screen. Unless it rolls up into the ceiling it will look weird when not in use.

No problems with light spill and no need to mask off the unused portions of the screen with RPTV. With FP light spills from the projector and illuminates (a little bit) the wall around the screen.

Reduced fan noise – with FP the projector is usually above your head and hence much closer to you than the fan of a RPTV. Some units are noisy and can be easily heard in quiet passages.

Daylight viewing better with RPTV. While FP’s get brighter there is still quite a difference between the brightness of a RPTV and FP. Watching most FP in bright daylight is an exercise in futility.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agree with Mike here. I have carefully considered FP since I do realize it will provide a much more realistic "theater" atmosphere, when the conditions are right.

I made the decision to stay with RPTV because my room is not dedicated to HT, we will also be using the area for exercise and other casual viewing. The lamp issue is a big one if you don't have 4 or $500 to reinvest every several years. The lenses on an RPTV (if you dont do DLP) last 5 to 10X as long as a single bulb projector.

That said, I do plan to one day have a room "dedicated" for movies and special events and would at that time invest in the best front projection available at that time.

Just my $.02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.