AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, so will xbox damage a crt based RP set?

Thx.

---neog

·
Registered
81 Posts
After about 3 hours of continous use static displays (like life and what not) will most likely begin to burn in, so as long as you don't play for long periods of time then you should be ok :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
After about 3 hours of continous use static displays (like life and what not) will most likely begin to burn in, so as long as you don't play for long periods of time then you should be ok
Not quite true. If you played the same game everyday for only 20 minutes at a time, but never watched anything else the set would still burn in. The name "burn-in" is a bit misleading. It's actually the phosphers in the set wearing unevenly. Basically as long as you mix up the usage of the tv and mix up the games you play, and have your contrast down you shouldn't have too much problem.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Help,

I was considering purchasing an X-Box to play on my Toshiba RPTV.

I did a search and was reading some of the threads about burn-in and was wondering how long is to long when playing the same game on your t.v.?

Is twenty minutes to long? Can you play an hour before its to long?

If I switched games once an hour, then watched movies or normal programing for a couple of hours would this be o.k.?

The Toshiba RPTV is our main television so I don't want to wreck it.

Craig

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Well too long depends on the game. Almost all XBox games try not to keep static images on the screen, so there is no issue at all.

I have never worried about the length of time I play XBox on my TOshiba set, but I don't play for extended periods of time. (hardly ever more than an hour straight). I would imagine that it would take considerably more than an hour of one image on the screen to burn in assuming the set is properly calibrated and the usage is varied. (DVDs, TV, XBox etc. all being used relatively frequently)

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've always been told 2-3 hours then watch some TV to give it a break. My problem is that we sometimes play for 10+ hours where we have up to 16 players in Halo, Unreal Championship or Ghost Recon. There is no such thing as giving it a break then. The answer is to go with DLP or LCD if you want no risk of burn in. DLP and LCD now come in the form of the typical RPTV but what we find the best for the XBox is a DLP or LCD projector. These projectors are portable which is great for big link/LAN games and of course you can have a screen the size of your wall which is no compromise at all even if you have to split the screen four ways. Most people think burn in is not a big issue and you know what…..it’s not until it happens to you. If you want real answers to burn in with respect to games go to a gaming forum as I find most here are not real big gamers. I’ve been a gamer ever since the Atari 2600 and I’ve had just about every console to come since. I currently own an Xbox and a GameCube (recently sold my PS2), I have 3 PC’s for LAN games the smallest of which being a P4 1.8 with a Radeon 8500 all the way up to a P4 2.8 with a Radeon 9700 Pro, I have built my own racing simulator and I have 300+ PC games. I am not a casual gamer. I’m a little tired of a few members posting not to worry about burn in when it comes to games because they are more than likely casual gamers who only play occasionally. For them turning down contrast (which I HATE) and limiting time spent playing works fine and if you fall into this category don’t worry about burn in. It’s not the answer for a serious gamer. This is not a knock against the casual gamer, I just want some of you realize that just because you play games and I play games does not mean we fall into the same category.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've been playing Xbox on my Hitachi 43UWX10B for almost a year now. When I say play, I'm talking a good 30-40 hrs a week. With some sessions going 10-12 hrs.

I do break it up though. After a few hours I switch over to cable TV for a break in the action. When I pause the game I switch to cable and don't leave the image on the screen. I haven't seen a hint of any burn in.

Just use common sense and good judgment and you should be fine

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Version/CO1/Kritztufer,

Thanks for the response guys.

No, I am not a serious gamer, but I know I will be using the X-Box quite a bit in the beginning. Probably two hours per day in the beginning.

I am the type of guy who will play around a half hour to an hour per day once the newness wears off.

I have not purchased one yet. I'm thinking there may be some good deals after Christmas.

Craig:)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Even if you're playing an hour or two per day I would consider buying a different set to avoid problems. I was using a 40" LCD projection television for the last two years and just upgraded to a 43" DLP.

On the other hand, you can afford to buy a new CRT-projection set every couple of years for the cost of a good LCD or DLP based set. ;)

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Bishamon,

I agree with your analysis of being able to buy a new CRT RPTV set every couple of years for the price of a good LCD or DLP TV.

However, I also have a 27 inch Sony Trinitron and I was considering using that instead.

:)

It's just the thought of playing Medal of Honor or NHL 2003 on a fifty inch screen that I can't resist.:D

Craig

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.