AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the Sony KDF-50E2000 LCD rear projection TV, but am seriously thinking of getting the Sony KDL-46S2010 LCD flat panel TV. I haven't opened the box yet on the KDF-50E2000 and could "upgrade" to the flat panel for an additional $720.00.

I understand all the issues concerning 2 HDMI vs 1 HDMI, the fact that both are 720p, etc.

My initial decision to upgrade is I think the flat panel has a better picture in my opinion. In addition, reading about SSE and SDE has made me a little wary that I might not get over these issues.

What would you do if you had the money?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Well, if it were my $$, I'd just get a better rptv if you're going to spend the money - like the KDS-50A2000. (1080p)

If you're going to see SSE, you will see other "imperfections" on the lcd panel from the same distance.

IMHO, you get a flat-panel display because:

1) It's sexy

2) You have space issues and don't have room for a tv with 17" depth

·
Registered
324 Posts
Tough Call....I was in the same boat

Flat panels have a host of issues: Backlight Bleeding, Motion Smearing, Artifacting in dark scenes, Dead Pixels - these are widespread and seem to affect every manufacturer.

I went RP because of so many issues with FP's....Got tired of all the issues. Not one brand, not one model can boast of having a major issue regarding picture quality or manufacturing problems throughout their lines.

SDE is NOT an issue with this. But SSE likely is....I got a 42E2000 and SSE is very evident. I cant be sure it doesnt bother me. But I do know this.....I can deal with it more than the following

1. Backlight Bleeding

2. Motion Smearing

3. Dark Scene Noise/Artifacting

4. Glare from my RPCRT - someone turns on a kitchen light and I have to move my seat.

It seems I can live with this as I can have lights on in the room and no glare - YEAH...!!! Backlight Bleeding or Mura is far more distracting. Although there might be some issues with fast moving camera pans with RPLCD - there isnt major motion smearing that mars LCD FPs. Like a running play in football - this doesnt have issues - most FPs I tried do....Panning across the field with a camera may get smeared a bit tho....

YMMV, but this is my opinion based on trying several TVs and doing research. I wouldnt even consider the FP unless space is a serious concern. You might prefer DLP tho....That is my buyer remorse - maybe I should have went with the DLP.....The FP, no way on anything more than a bedroom or kitchen TV right now.....Critical viewing doesnt cut it for the price.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
You should be able to get the 50A2000 for the price of the 50E2000 + $720 (or less). If you go with the A2000 you will not have a problem with SDE. Plus, SSE is a lot less on the A2000 than it is on the E2000. You also get 1080p and better black levels, etc. with the 50A2000 and 4 more screen inches than the 46" LCD.

·
Registered
324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad /forum/post/0

You should be able to get the 50A2000 for the price of the 50E2000 + $720 (or less). If you go with the A2000 you will not have a problem with SDE. Plus, SSE is a lot less on the A2000 than it is on the E2000. You also get 1080p and better black levels, etc. with the 50A2000 and 4 more screen inches than the 46" LCD.

That sounds like a better plan than going Flat.....Good Call....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the feedback. Good points to consider.

Space is not an issue for me. I would also agree, the SSE is not as much of an issue as my viewing is 14 feet, thus far enough away to not notice it. I have not noticed SDE myself and feel if I'm going to look that hard for it, I'd be better off spending my time staring at a Magic Eye book waiting for the picture to pop out.

Regarding going with SXRD, it would be another $100, but that's not the issue. I like them very, very much. However, my concern is the "green haze" effect. That was enough to scare me away from considering SXRD.

You're helping me to realize my original strategy is not a bad one. That is to go with a "transitional" RPTV while the flat panels fix their problems. In this case, I'll save the $700-$800 and stay with what I have. After all, I'm going from a 15 year old 32 inch tube to the KDF-50E2000.

·
Registered
558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad /forum/post/0

What is SSE?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Silk Screen Effect. Some people notice it on very white scenes, especially when there is some movement in the scene. What you see appears to resemble a silky, sometimes sparkly layer over the picture. It has to do with the screen of the television.

Believe me, it's not as bad as it sounds, but for some people it bothers them enough to return the TV.

·
Registered
558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahsj /forum/post/0

Silk Screen Effect. Some people notice it on very white scenes, especially when there is some movement in the scene. What you see appears to resemble a silky, sometimes sparkly layer over the picture. It has to do with the screen of the television.

Believe me, it's not as bad as it sounds, but for some people it bothers them enough to return the TV.

Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you are 14' away, you should really be looking at MUCH, MUCH larger screen! For HD programming you could not even get a big enough screen for 14' w/o being front projection! At 14' watching Standard Def programming the rule of thumb would put you at about a 75" screen! I view at 13' or so and am looking at the BIG BOYS! My wife is at about 11' so I have been looking at all of them from inside 10' just to be sure they are acceptable. BTW, in all my watching (focusing most on SD programming since we watch about 60% that and they ALL look good w/ HD material) I have found the following in decending order:

Sony 70" Absolute best

Toshiba 72" Real close to Sony

Samsung 71" Not bad but really not as good as the Toshi

Mitsubishi 73" Not even watchable on SD...I have looked at THREE of them all in different stores with the same conclusion in each store...just wanted to be sure it was not a set up issue at one store.

YMMV!

·
Registered
517 Posts
>> You should be able to get the 50A2000 for the price of the 50E2000 + $720 (or less).

You may be able to get it for much, much less. I bought the 50A2000 last night at Sears for slightly less than eighteen hundred. They have it on sale for less than 2k and there's a Sears 10% off coupon floating around that does include electronics.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have to concur on two points made earlier.

The Sony A2000 lcos sets display much less SSE than the 3 chip lcd E2000 sets. Saw that clearly in a side by side of skiing footage, from about 7 to 8 feet away.

Unless you have the bucks for a HUGE tv, the first thing you have to do is move your chair closer to the TV or vice versa. There is not much point is buying an 50" HDTV if you're going to sit that far away. You eye won't be able to see half the detail presented on the screen from that distance. In fact with 1080 lines of resolution and a 50" set you have to sit no more than 7 feet away to see all there is to see. - And if you're not going to see all there is to see, what's the point? -This is based on the visual acuity of the eye with 20/20 vision.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I sell televisions at Circuit City and generally when a customer is stuck between flat panel or rear projection I get down to the questions that matter when stuck between the two. You can be really technical about it but you have to look at circumstances and the obvious.

What is the lighting like in the room?

If its bright do you watch the TV primarily in the daytime, the evening, or both?

Are you going to be viewing the television at an angle or will everyone see the TV straight on?

Are you attempting to save space or is this not a concern?

I could go on but bottom line how are you using the TV and where are you using it? The S2010 is a beautiful television and works great in brighter lighting conditions. The rear projection sets will not look so great in a brighter room. If you are in a dark enough room, aren't off to the side, have the space, and have the extra cash get the rear projection (A2000). The screen door on the E2000 is bothersome in my opinion so front the cash and get the nicer TV if possible, you won't regret it either. -Wes-

·
Registered
1,824 Posts

Quote:
That was enough to scare me away from considering SXRD

If you read every post on every board about every product, you will never buy anything because you will convince yourself that everything is fatally flawed.

Regarding the green haze:

1) Very, very few actual problems with the new SXRD sets outside of a couple of months early last year. And even then, as a percentage, there were very few problems.

2) By and large, the folks who frequent/post on a board like this are (to put it mildly) a touch fanatical-this tends to blow things a bit out of proportion from time to time.

3) The vast majority of SXRD green haze postings are by one individual which several screen names who has a major axe to grind with Sony. He gets banned every couple of days and starts over again with a new account. Ignore him

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. Alot of really good information and points to ponder.

Here is what I ended up doing. I decided for the price, I would be better off with a flat panel. I spoke with several colleagues at work and their experiences with RPTV (bulbs, SSE, etc). The majority lamented they would have gone flat panel, but at the time of their purchase it was cost prohibitive. At this time, flat panel is not cost prohibitive and the technology is only getting better.

Now here is the real suprise. Instead of LCD, I went plasma. I exchanged the Sony KDF-50E2000 for the Panasonic TH-50PX60U.

Why? Well, picture quality. Without sounding like a broken record from other posts, I just liked the picture quality of the plasma over the LCD. I did a side by side, and maybe unfair comparison, with a Sony 1080p LCD thinking the Sony would blow away the Panny. To my suprise, I felt the plasma was a tad better. Too me, the LCD lighting appeared uneven. The LCD blacks were not as good. The refresh rate didn't keep up as well. On the LCD, I just felt like I was watching a movie on my Samsung 19" LCD monitor on my computer. OK, I know that's an exaggeration, but you get the idea!! ;-)

It's a little deceiving, because if you only pay attention to the vivid picture of an LCD, you think it's the best. But, when you realy concentrate on picture quality, the plasma is superior. The Panny plasma simply looked as good as a tube TV. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this is what I saw. Not to say I wouldn't have been satisfied with an LCD. I sure would have! However, for me, I just liked the plasma better. My brother-in-law and my son who were with me agreed. I think I would have gotten an LCD if I were shopping for a 37" or less flat panel.

Many of you may be wondering....if this guy was worried about green haze on the SXRD, isn't he worried about burn in on the plasma??? Well, I agree with rockytt if you focus on the negative posts, you'll never buy anything. Burn in was a consideration, but after much research and knowledge, I feel I can avoid this issue.

I'm suprised at the amount of people who suggest 14 feet is too far for 50" and I should go 70" or higher. 14' is the most we would be sitting. Of course, kids tend to sit on the floor in front of you, so they will be even closer (9' to 12' or less). I couldn't imagine getting a TV larger than 50". I am a believer that bigger is better, but I'm very happy with 50". After all, I'm going from a 15 year old 32" tube. That's not a bad upgrade. :) Besides, my wife would kill me if I showed up with anything larger. ;-)

Thanks again for your insight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.