AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just in my backyard, and was thinking it would be nice to watch TV/movies out there sometimes. I have a window there, the top half is 28" wide by 20" high. At first I thought I could just put a TV there, but that's boring. So then I thought about doing rear projection onto the window, or somehow replacing the window with a rear projection material. But it's still small.

So then I started thinking about projecting through the window, to a rear projection screen mounted somewhere near the window in my backyard. Obviously, my window is not optical glass, but is it just a matter of losing a (small) percentage of lumens to the glass?

How effective is rear projection in general? The fact that the image has to go through the screen to the viewer, I'm assuming you lose some more lumens? Is the screen extra-expensive, compared with a front projection screen? Can the screens get wet? Also, compared to front projection, is there any hope in daylight?

Thanks!

Mike

------------------

Join the NYC-area HT club! Send me e-mail!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I am seconds from my first experimentation with this, which builds on information that I have obtained from the Screens forum. No results yet, but my first experiment is with some white, tight-weave cloth that I obtained for $.99/yard, < $3! Looked mediocre inside, sucked in the light (no shroud for the RPTV stuff outside yet), and we'll see it a little bit at night. Several forum members have also reported success with a squeegie film that simulates frosted glass. All have used an enclosed projector (the blacker the better). New on this front is that Lowe's sells a spray paint can of Frosted Glass. I'll be experimenting with it later (plexiglass is very expensive) and will post results when I try that. The big news is that it costs less than $3 and covers about 100 sq feet!!! I also have obtained a first surface mirror from a local repair shop (for free! they we minutes from trashing it), which I'll use to increase the size of the image within my RPTV "box".

Go AVS team! Go!!

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So this is to try to build your own really inexpensive rear-projection screen? Or is this specifically for outside? Are you saying that it still won't work during the day? You said:
Quote:
Looked mediocre inside, sucked in the light (no shroud for the RPTV stuff outside yet), and we'll see it a little bit at night.
Didn't quite know what you meant by that. With a shroud, so the screen will be in the shade, you think it will work during the day?

So is anyone projecting from inside the house through a window? Or is that crazy?

Mike

------------------

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So how does rear projection perform in general, compared to front projetion? Would it be possible to view it in the daylight? Or is rear projection pretty similar in drawbacks to front projection?

Mike

------------------

·
Registered
657 Posts
A buddy of mine brought his old Sharp 37 outside for a halloween party and shot clips of Jason and Michael into the trees with looping horror sound effects playing through the outdoor speakers. Very creep/cool fun!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
OK, so the "first try" configuration was: my VT540 set for front projection (yes, front), my scavenged ~2x2 RPTV first surface mirror, my HTPC, a white fine-weave sheet ~4.5'x8', and the awesome audio power of a ~$75 boom box (not even mono since I just patched one channel to it!).

Despite the numerous audio and video artifacts that I would not accept inside, I have to hail this effort as a rousing success. The family was pumped. The neighbors showed their disproval around 10:30 (sheesh, and I haven't even hooked up the 6.5' speaker towers).

I just barely stretched the sheet to the underside of the deck (for those Ann Arborites, we are doing Bottom of the Park http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif ). The VT540 bounced backward off the mirror and created an image ~7'x4'. I used the Tarzan DVD ("Oh, I see" man that kills me). I boosted the brightness and contrast, but there was nothing that I could do for the vignette and AR aberrations on a short term basis. The mirror was precariously balanced on a TV tray table and the projector on a plastic lawn chair. Overall, it was pretty impressive. Acknowledging the aberrations, I was only left with a desire for a larger screen and the ability to annoy the neighbors before dark (the rear was not enclosed).

Anyway, that's a quick rundown of where I am. I hope to do more next weekend.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Premium Member
25,501 Posts
The Dalite site has a lot of educational articles.

In general, RP has better contrast if there's ambient light, but is more expensive for the screen and sometimes a mirror system.

------------------

Noah

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.