AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to find information regarding the differences between “etched glass” and “coated glass” for rear projection use. I understand that there are many many coatings used for rear projection screens, but I’m hoping for some generic information.

Are there any readily available resources / reviews / tests that have direct comparisons between these types of rear projection screen?

I have done a reasonable amount of searching, but have not yet found much information.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How about this: how will ground glass stand up to soft rear projection screens in contrast and hot spotting?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose I'll see if I can get some etched, frosted, and ground glass, and compare them to a coated screen...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think the terms you want to look for might be "optical rear screen" and "diffusion rear screen". The optical screens have lenses cut into them--is that what you mean by etched? Diffusion means that it has a coating.

There's a lot of information available.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is not what I mean by etched. Etched, ground, frosted (etc) glass will all function as diffusion type screens.

I want to find out the performance differences between these and coated diffusion type screens.

·
Premium Member
24,633 Posts
Whatever differences there are, no diffusion screen is that great unless you stick w/low gain and have a very bright $$ pj to power it.

What's the big picture (so to speak) goal here?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm currently running a 73" wide coated plexiglass rear projection screen with a Panasonic PT-AE1000U in 16:9. I am quite pleased with the performance both during the day and night. There is minimal "hotspotting" with only slight light falloff on the left and right 10" or so. I would like to come up with a rear projection screen about 100" wide to setup for a CIH arrangement at a reasonable price.

If I find etched glass performs at a similar level to my current screen, I can get etched glass at my desired size for a reasonable price.

-Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts