AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a Mits crt rear projection, with the anti-glare shield removed,and am quite happy with the picture. I am a crt lover, cannot tolerate any of the digital technologies, and am thinking of moving to crt front projection. Is the quality of front projection better than rear given the appropriate enviornment? Also, what would be a recommended 8" projector for a beginner? My priorities are a smooth, organic, easy-on-the-eye filmlike quality rather than sharpness. Thanks to all and pardon my inexperience.

·
Registered
640 Posts
as a mits owner and a crt owner, i love them both.. rear projection is great when you can't control the light in the room, crt is grea when you want a bigger screen with out the massive box infront of you.. it all depends on your room and you always have the WAF factor also.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Would an 8" Marquee with reasonable light control produce a better, an addition to bigger, picture than a rear-pro crt? If so, I am going for it for my basement. If not, I will just pick up one of the last 65" rear-pro crts and sit closer. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerall /forum/post/0

Thanks. Would an 8" Marquee with reasonable light control produce a better, an addition to bigger, picture than a rear-pro crt? If so, I am going for it for my basement. If not, I will just pick up one of the last 65" rear-pro crts and sit closer. Thanks again.

if you have a dedicated light controled room then there is really no comparison. You can never sit close enough to a RPTV to give you that feeling of being IN the movie. We love CRT for all the same reasons, perfectly smooth pic with no artifacts and you can sit as close as you like. In my theatre, my 8500 is projecting on a 45 x 92" screen and I sit 9 feet away (front row) . to give you an idea of sharpness, the smallest script on my PC desktop at 1440 x 960 rez. is perfectly legible and sharp. There's more than enough light-output to make you squint when it goes from full Black to 100IRE and the color fidelity, flesh-tones, and everything else you expect is excellent.

Some other important considerations is dark walls and ceiling, not necessarily Black, but a dark Earth tone is important to prevent that much light bouncing around in a room. White walls and ceiling are not good here. Also, a source with some kind of VGA (also called RBG) output and a cable to hook it up to your PJ. This starts with something as simple as a Helio's 4000 DVD player for $150. + a good RGB cable which is also approximately $150 from forum sponsor Blue Jeans cables.

An HDMI input card that plugs into the Marquee;s expansion slot is the other option for $250. + cable and hopefully moome start shipping those for Marquee's in June?
http://221.169.10.62/ehome.htm

check your private message box

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.