AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a new LCD screen that has some seemingly miraculous ability to work in full daylight - I wonder if it is something that could be put in front of a rear projection or front projection screen to allow you to use it with the lights on?
http://www.mudgee.net/ot/20050809-dnp.jpg

It was shown at siggraph and reported at Tom's Hardware as below.

DNP, who manufacturers the daytime-readable SuperNova LCD screens. We all know that sunlight makes desktop and laptop LCD screens almost unreadable. You can try to shield the sun or turn up the brightness, but in the end you are fighting a losing battle. With the DNP screens, sunlight is not a problem. Unfortunately, pictures cannot do justice to how good this screen looked in simulated daytime.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I think this screen may be one of the biggest breakthroughs in home video in quite some time based on what people who have seen it have reported, but I won't get a chance to see it until CEDIA. I've wondered if it might work well for CRT owners and I think it is a good possibility, although I'm not sure how strong their statement of having a throw of at least 1.8x is. When Sony announced their ambient light rejecting screen I stated that it probably wouldn't work well with CRTs because of the technique it used, and I still believe that. It sounds like it gives some improvement for digitals with UHP bulbs, but not as much as this SuperNova.

The basics of this SuperNova seem to be that the direction the light is coming from is very important. There is a cone extending out from the screen at something like 11 degrees where light from anywhere in there (like the projector) will be reflected around the room, but light originating outside that cone will be rejected (or at least mostly rejected). So, it would be misleading to say that it will reject all ambient light, but if people are somewhat careful about where the light is coming from it should help a lot. And I like that it looks like it will help ANSI CR even in a room with no lights on (by rejecting reflections that come back from the sides).

The MSRPs are also pretty high for now with the 120" diagonal version at something like a little over $4k and the 80" wide at a little under $2k, but it does seem pretty unique for right now and I'm sure there will be cheaper versions of ambient light rejecting screens also.

One thing I'm not sure of is that I thought that the gain was reported as 2.0, but one report had it looking just like a Matte White screen without lights on. Maybe that was a different version though. In any case, if the gain actually ends up being only 1.0 then that would be something for CRT owners to consider.

And, of course, this is mostly for lights on viewing, so isn't really aimed at those who only care about watching with lights off or no light coming in the room.

--Darin

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
I heard from somebody at Pioneer, that they tested or were testing that material for their high end retro TVs.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
That photo is obviously of a RP screen, but I googled and found no mention of a RP SuperNova. I found FP only.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Smith
That photo is obviously of a RP screen, but I googled and found no mention of a RP SuperNova. I found FP only.
:confused: It looks like a front projection to me. Isn't that a shadow of his hand?

...Now that I look at it again, I'm not certian.

·
Registered
184 Posts
It is front projection. The shadow of his hand is due to the ambient light above the screen but you can see his nametag blocking the "a" in SuperNova... I should be a detective ;)

Video here, wow: :eek:
http://www.supernovascreen.com/flash...site/INDEX.HTM

They claim 10x contrast and 2x brightness. Umm, why is that guy wearing a lab coat? :D

·
Registered
13,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttsplice
It is front projection. The shadow of his hand is due to the ambient light above the screen but you can see his nametag blocking the "a" in SuperNova... I should be a detective ;)
Yeah, then maybe you could find your projector.:D The phone is ringing.

Ericglo

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttsplice
Detective Buttsplice, I do believe you're right. I originally thought that his arm and shirt sleeve would have blocked the text in the upper right, but I guess not. If you look hard at the name tag, and on his shirt below the name tag, you can see purple areas that would be text on the screen if he moved out of the way.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Yes, this screen blocks ambient light from decent angles only. You can see it on the top of the image where you can see the reflections of the lights, even on the right side.

Roland

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope this technology seeps out and gets cheaper in a hurry, it potentially would remove the thing that annoys me most about the CRT projector, the inability to watch sports or play games with the lights on.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
dok, I've got 3 pairs of recessed lights in my HT and can easily have ambient light in the room while watching sports or playing games.

I leave the front pair of lights off (by the screen).

I usually dim (~50%) the middle pair above the seating (slightly behind the projector).

And I can turn the rear pair of lights up to 100%.

I have dark walls, ceiling, and carpet, so there is very little light that bounces up to the screen. I'd say it has ~10% impact on the brightness and contrast of the screen. I watch movies in pitch black, but when we have friends over for football games or when my sons play PS2, I use the 0/50/100 lighting zones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.