Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this topic has been beat to death. I am in the process of constructing my home theatre. Due to room size restrictions and window/door placements, my seating and speaker set up will be as such that my first row of seats will be in front of my rear surround speakers and the second row will be behind my rear surround speakers. So if you were to look at it from the side it would look like this

Rear

______2nd row_____Speaker______1st row____________

What can I do to give the second row viewers a better surround sound experience?

Should I just splice in another set of surrounds behind the second row (these would have to be mounted on the rear wall as opposed to the side wall) or is there a better alternative?

Also, I have a 5.1 reciever now but wouldn't be opposed to upgrading to a 6.1 or 7.1 if that's what it would take.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, please feel free to ask any questions you may need for clairification. I may not have explained my set up that well. :)

Mike in Fort Collins

·
Registered
154 Posts
I Think that anyone siting in the second row will be exteremly bummed out. I don't have any recommendations other than try to be creative and get those rear speakers in the back where they belong somehow.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
You want to upgrade to a 7.1 setup where the side + rear surround speakers are either getting the same signal with different delays or some one's proprietary processing (I'm partial to Logic-7) which doesn't just put the THX-EX center surround image back there.

Otherwise, you'll want to move the surround speakers backwards and will have a less immersive experience for the front row where you sit - which isn't what you want after paying for the system.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Quote:
...get those rear speakers in the back where they belong somehow.
Surround speakers in a 5.1 setup absolutely do not belong at the back. The belong at the sides of the listeners. This is really where the problem is for Mike, and many others, myself included, who have two rows of seating. You can't one pair of speakers directly at the sides of both rows!

Mike, your suggested solution of an additional pair of speakers should work fine. This will help to pull the surround sound back a little for the 2nd row people, so that it doesn't seem to come from the front. Just be careful with the speaker impedance and your receiver's capabilities. If you use two 8 ohm speakers connected in parallel, then the effective impedance is 4 ohms, and you must make sure that the amp in your receiver can drive a 4 ohm load safely. Otherwise, it may overheat, and/or you could actually cause severe damage to the amp.

In my setup, the solution is similar. I have a 7 speaker setup, and my Sony receiver will duplicate the surround channels in the surround-back speakers when it is not using surround-back (dts-ES or DD-EX) decoding. So in this case, the surround-back speakers will help to anchor the surround sound toward the back for the 2nd row people, but the surround speakers (mounted to the sides of the 1st row) are close to the first row and therefore dominate over the surround back speaker for first-row people. The result is a good surround effect for both rows. When useing surround-back decoding, the resulting soundfield is ideal only for the first row people. I am considering another pair of surround speakers, mounted to the sides of the 2nd row, to help in this situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.