AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of my structured wiring plan, I am going to have the rear and side speakers prewired in the cieling of my basement. I will have a 65" projection TV and figure that the recommended viewing distance is about 15 ft. My thinking was that the rear surrounds would be approx 21 ft from the front wall. The front of the tv would be about 3 ft from the wall, then 15 ft to viewer and another 3 ft to the rear. Does this sound right or should it be a bit further? For the side surrounds I would say to put the approximately 18 ft from the front wall (even with the viewer). What would you suggest different?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
That looks pretty good. You might consider the rears even further back, just so you have better coverage if you listening space needs expand.

Any competent processor has time alignment delay settings to compensate for the differing speaker distances.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I second the longer distance for the rears. Think of the commercial theater rears. Depending on where you sit they can be a substantial distance behind you. It will create better spaciousness and more spooky realism if you can get them further back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'll move them back a couple of feet. Another question. Will the side surrounds sound OK mounted in the ceiling instead of being on a side wall? On one side of the seating area the room opens up and thus no wall to mount a side surround.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Ideally you'd like the sides out at the sides. The more overhead the speakers are, the closer to apparent mono you get.

But system design, like most things in life, involves compromise, and ceiling mounted sides are better then none at all in most cases.

Spread them out as much as you can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Goddard
But system design, like most things in life, involves compromise, and ceiling mounted sides are better then none at all in most cases.
Having the rear speakers on stands in the middel of the room wasn't going to work. So, in compromising I decided that if I was going to have the rears prewired for ceiling mount that I would go from a 5.1 setup to a 7.1 setup. I want to take full advantage of my Outlaw 950.

For the side surround, do you think that 1-2 feet from the wall is adequate distance?

The room is essentially an sideways "L" shape with the HT in the short leg which measures approx 17'10 wide (opening to 36'wide) x13'8 deep (total depth of room is 34').

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.