AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm getting started on setting up my theater room after a move (and a long break). I'm about to do some cable drops, so I want to decide if I am really going to do 7.1 or stick with 5.1, based on my room layout. I've always done 5.1 in the past, but I do have matched rear speakers for 7.1.

I'm attaching an image of the back wall. It is non ideal in that the right side has a double door at an angle - so no where to put a stand. I could mount above the door, but it'd be way off angle without a pretty crazy mount, and still not flush with the other speaker.

So the picture I've attached shows what I think is the best possibility on where to place them. I'd just test it out, but it'll be a little tricky to temporarily mount these without damaging the wall. So, before I do it, I want to see if others think it's even worth shooting for.

This is all really rough, but I drew an image with what is about the center of the sound stage. I also drew boxes showing about where I think is my best shot at putting the speakers. The idea is that I'd adjust the relative volumes notably with the AVR. Obviously it can't quite make up for that physical offset. So what do you all think - is it worth a shot, or will I end up with some disturbingly off audio?

I should also mention I really guessed on the height. I typically mount my surrounds about 2' higher than listening level, but now I'm hearing they should probably be AT ear level just as the rest are. I am not sure if the same is true of rears - so thoughts on that are also welcome!

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm not an expert, but, the back of your room does look deep enough to warrant 7.1 expansion. Based on the double door design, if I'd be in your position to have to instal the speakers (great diagram by the way) I would put my money that the way you drew it, is exactly correct way where I think the speakers should be placed, again, due to the space situation.

I'd go for it, but if it didn't sound right after audessey recalibration, and 5.1 spread the sound better then I'd make a decision if they should stay on, or the room sound good enough with 5.1.

Good luck ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not an expert, but, the back of your room does look deep enough to warrant 7.1 expansion. Based on the double door design, if I'd be in your position to have to instal the speakers (great diagram by the way) I would put my money that the way you drew it, is exactly correct way where I think the speakers should be placed, again, due to the space situation.

I'd go for it, but if it didn't sound right after audessey recalibration, and 5.1 spread the sound better then I'd make a decision if they should stay on, or the room sound good enough with 5.1.

Good luck ;)

Thanks folks! I am leaning towards trying 7.1 based on your input, but I think I'll try to find some way of soft mounting them to test before I drill a hole in the wall (and install the speaker wire plates).

To address your point michaellsv, the room is definitely not as wide as I'd like, but the depth is pretty good. It's approximately 20' from the rear wall to the screen wall. The width is not quite 15'. It feels bigger than that because there is a large window (doh) that is inset by almost 2'.

Anyway, the area where I showed the speaker outline is just over 8' wide, so with some inset they'd be about 6' apart. Then there's about another 4.5' from the left speaker to the other wall if you ignore the angle of the french doors.

Aside from not having quite as much width as I'd like, I'm pretty excited about the room. It has a slightly vaulted ceiling and the dimensions are far from divisible. I am hoping it'll be good for acoustics once I treat the heck out of it to account for wood floors and the window. It's just a little tricky figuring out where to put the surrounds and rears.

Thanks!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks folks! I am leaning towards trying 7.1 based on your input, but I think I'll try to find some way of soft mounting them to test before I drill a hole in the wall (and install the speaker wire plates).

To address your point michaellsv, the room is definitely not as wide as I'd like, but the depth is pretty good. It's approximately 20' from the rear wall to the screen wall. The width is not quite 15'. It feels bigger than that because there is a large window (doh) that is inset by almost 2'.

Anyway, the area where I showed the speaker outline is just over 8' wide, so with some inset they'd be about 6' apart. Then there's about another 4.5' from the left speaker to the other wall if you ignore the angle of the french doors.

Aside from not having quite as much width as I'd like, I'm pretty excited about the room. It has a slightly vaulted ceiling and the dimensions are far from divisible. I am hoping it'll be good for acoustics once I treat the heck out of it to account for wood floors and the window. It's just a little tricky figuring out where to put the surrounds and rears.

Thanks!

20 by 15 is great. I'm stuck in a Brooklyn space that's only 12x14, and the longer sides are the ones with window on one end and closet on the other lol :/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.