Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have recently moved into a new apartment and can't decide where I should place my rear speakers. Here's my system (a little old, but still sounds good):

Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS575

Center: Polk CS400

Fronts: Polk RT400

Rears: Polk RT f/x (bipole/dipole speakers) - 8.25"L x 7"D, 7.5 lbs.

I don't currently have a subwoofer since I live in an apartment. My living room is not ideal for a home theater and the setup is a little awkward, so I've attached a diagram (I did it in MS paint - don't laugh). I put arrows showing the sound direction out of each speaker.

I figure I have 2 options:

Option A: RT f/x speakers mounted on the walls behind my listening position, equal distance apart, and equal distance from listening position. This would be the preferred option. Only problem is the left rear speaker would be mounted on the wall near the height of someone's head in the middle of the walkway. I guess I could mount it high up on the wall, but that would not be ideal.

Option B: One RT f/x mounted on the wall next to my listening position and the other mounted on the far wall. Speakers would not be across from each other and would not be an equal distance from the listening position. Only good thing is the speakers would not obstruct the walkway.

So what do you guys think? Is there another option that I am not considering? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Kyle

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Do the far wall option. You have dipole/bipole surrounds which diffuse the sound anyway. Just do appropriate level matching and you should be fine.

Edit: I'd also try having the right surround mounting in the A location and experiment moving the left surround along that wall between A and B.

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
Kyle,

I would run the surround speakers as bipole and spread them further apart for better wrap-around envelopment and strong left-vs-right stereo separation in the surround field. [see attached diagram]

Best,

Sanjay

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.