AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question specific to my room's limited set-up. Wanted to get thoughts on these two different options for my rear speakers. Option A involved mounting the right speaker on the inside wall and the left speaker above the hall on a soffit that hangs down about a foot. Speaker height would be about 6'4" andgled at 90 degrees to the sofa.

Option B would be much closer together and closer to the listening area mounted on the back wall and angled at 60 degrees inward.

Thoughts or other options?!?!?

·
Registered
158 Posts
With the sofa against the wall, you're sitting too close to the rear surrounds. With a 46" screen, I would want the seating much closer than 15 feet. By moving the sofa into the center of the room, you solve the "distance to the screen" problem, and you solve the surround speaker placement problem. Put the surrounds on the rear wall.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter White /forum/post/16959454

With the sofa against the wall, you're sitting too close to the rear surrounds. With a 46" screen, I would want the seating much closer than 15 feet. By moving the sofa into the center of the room, you solve the "distance to the screen" problem, and you solve the surround speaker placement problem. Put the surrounds on the rear wall.

+1

For guideline purposes (and fun, of course), take a look at this: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

If you do move the sofa closer in, it's not as obvious to me that the surrounds will necessarily be best on the rear wall. Always audition location options prior to final installation.

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts
Agreed. HD resolution is a waste that far away, and moving the couch up would give you rear space. This graph will help set the seating distance:

As far as rear speaker placement, can you clarify--is this for 5.1 or 7.1? In either, the surrounds should be to the sides of the listeners. The rear speakers in a 7.1 would go behind the listeners opposite the fronts, ideally (but it's rare that the fronts are in the right spot either

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the posts...

Ok, so I'm changing things a bit here. The room is too narrow to leave the tv as is and move the couch into the room, so if I put the TV on the right wall and moved the couch 90 degrees from cuurent location into the middle of the room, where would the best rear/surround speaker placement be (wall behind, walls side, etc.)?

This is for a 5.1 system with Onkyo sr507 and Energy Take Classic Speakers.

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts
I think you'll be happier visually with this change.

As far as audio goes, that left side surround looks like it will be a tad far away on the wall, but your AVR should take care of that. Are you thinking on- or inwalls?

Attached is a guide to 5.1 speaker placement. Attachment 149625

5.1 Setup.pdf 40.005859375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the guide. These would be mounted on wall Energy Take Classic Speakers. I went down in the basement after posting and I think my drawing is a little off scale because it seems like the couch would be closer to the left wall than it looks.

You think mounting on the side walls slightly behind the couch and angled at 30 degrees or a little less would be good?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.