AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I have a question; I have a theater room where the back row seating is a custom built couch which goes from wall to wall and is up against the back wall. The question I have is where do I put the rear surround speakers? i.e. back wall, side wall, or corner and how high... the speakers I have are B&W 686 bookshelf with brackets. my concern is 1. if they are too low they will bonk people sitting on the end of the couch in the head and 2. they will blow them out. any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have included a pic, hopefully it comes through.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Would this be in a 5.1 setup? I can't tell from the pic. Do you want them to operate as discrete rear surrounds?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it will be a 5.1; i realized right after i posted it, i did not indicate. everything i have read states side way about two feet above the head. so i end up with two additional questions 1. above the top level seating or lower level (16" delta between levels) 2. if it is side mount, how far from the back wall is the right spot?

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,183 Posts
You need ceiling speakers to get them as far away from the listening positions as possible. IMHO with that room and your seating plans you have pretty much painted yourself into the corner, no matter what you do the sound will be less than optimal for the back row

That and if you keep it turned down to satisfy back row listeners the front row may not get enough.

If you can only use the speakers you've got stick them in the upper rear corners angled toward the center of the room. You may need some special mounting brackets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts