AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've just purchased a Kenwood HTB-504 system and I have a question regarding the rear speakers and their placement.

Currently the rear speakers are on the floor, slightly behind the couch I watch TV from, the problem is, while the left speaker has only a slightly blocked path to the seating position the right speaker is basically firing at the couch.

My question boils down to this: Am I better off getting stands for the rears that put the speakers at or above the top of the couch (approx 39" I bought a nice high back couch that reclines to a laying position :D) or would mounting them on the wall be okay? If I mount them, I would have to use a method that is non-drilling as I live in a rental unit and drilling into the concrete is *not* an option (I was looking at maybe the 3M hook mounting system, any experience there?) Thanks

NefCanuck

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
A couple of ideas.

A simple (but maybe not aurally satisfying) option is to lay the speakers on their backs so they point at the ceiling. This creates a difuse sound that some people like, but it lacks the directionality that others prefer, especially when listening to discrete tracks such as DD or DTS. I had a similar situation where I did this for about a year, and it was a good compromise.

Because you are a renter, I think speaker stands would be the best way to go because they give you the most flexibility as your housing arrangements change.

Depending on the weight of your surround speakers, I would be hesitant to attach them to a wall without a solid anchor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll give placing the speakers so that they fire upwards a try, but I'm probably looking at having to get the stands, since I crave the directionality (Watched Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, last night in DD5.1.... *wow* :D) Which leads to the question, am I going to have problems aurally speaking if the rears are higher than the fronts?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.